Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: names of the parts of the frame  (Read 4643 times)

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
names of the parts of the frame
« on: May 18, 2007, 09:46:57 pm »
I took the practical part of the Certified Beekeeper exam today and got stumped and still am not sure of the answer.  I had to name all the parts of the frame, for goodness sake. I knew the top bar and the bottom bar.  What is the name of the piece on the end?  I said the side bar but that is wrong - is it the end bar???   :?  :?  :?

Linda T confused at Young Harris

Offline AllanJ

• House Bee
Re: names of the parts of the frame
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2007, 09:53:31 pm »
End bars is what I know them as..

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 09:56:13 pm »
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2007, 10:06:18 pm »
I hope you all will still respect me in the morning if I fail this thing. 

The practical part was hard starting with lighting the smoker.  I succeeded but I just can't make a lighter work and it took me tons of tries.  Finally I did it.  I think I did OK with the outside in the hive part but then we had to go into a room and identify all kinds of stuff - most of it I knew but diseases are not something I know well - I know the names of them and the symptoms but I have never had to identify them in a frame of bees..... :-P

So I am studying like crazy tonight to memorize medications that I will NEVER use in my hives for this written exam tomorrow.

Linda T

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2007, 10:15:03 pm »
Yes, but now you have list of names so you know what not to use. Indtead of just saying I don't like chemicals you can say I don't like Fluvalinate, Coumaphos, Menthol crystals, Terramycin, Paradichlorobenzene crystals,and Fumadil-B.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2007, 11:59:09 pm »
Today at a lecture on equipment for the hive, I found out that end bars are what they call those things on the sides of the frames and "ears" is what the tag ends on the top bars are called! 

I also saw a fantastic demo of building a wooden frame in which the fellow had a jig for everything.  He had a wonderful jig for frame building that I want to get someone to make for me.  He also had a device for wiring frames that was extraordinary.  He had copied a picture in Bee Culture but said he thought the plans were on BeeSource.

Like I've said before, I wish I had taken shop instead of home ec -

Linda T finally a Certified Beekeeper in GA

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2007, 09:56:50 am »
i think walter kelly sells a frame jig.
as far as woodworking skills necessary for beekeeping...they are not that demanding. the problem is having enough space for the woodworking equipment and supplies AND the beekeeping equipment and supplies.

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2007, 12:36:28 pm »
space for the woodworking equipment and supplies AND the beekeeping equipment and supplies.
hahaha, couldn't agree more! before you know it, bee-equipment is EVERYWHERE! except where it should be, oh..and you need that "should be place" :-D

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2007, 12:59:46 pm »
Linda, go, girl, go.  That is excellent that you are taking this course.  Everything that you can get your hands on as far as learning is fantastic.  You are gonna be a great beekeeper, that shines through!!!!!  And you love your bees, that is beautiful.  Have a wonderful day, keep us posted on some cool stuff that you learn.  Great health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2007, 07:33:10 pm »
>He had a wonderful jig for frame building that I want to get someone to make for me.  He also had a device for wiring frames that was extraordinary.

Walter T. Kelley has already made them all for you.  :)

They have a "frame nailing device", a "foundation device" a spool holder and an electric embedder.  They only thing they don't have is a wire crimper.  :)
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2007, 07:54:23 pm »
Since I don't use wire - that won't bother me!  :-D  :-D  :-D   

Thanks for the resource - I've been pleased with everything I've ordered from Walter Kelley - wish I had ordered the wax tube fastener there since yours from there came with directions  :evil:

Linda T back in Atlanta

anything