Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Syrup from the fridge -- too cold?  (Read 2200 times)

Offline josbees

• House Bee
Syrup from the fridge -- too cold?
« on: September 09, 2008, 08:28:30 am »
I made up a batch of 2:1 syrup on Saturday but because of Hanna I couldn't deliver it so put it in the fridge.  My helpful partner then gave it to the bees on Monday, straight from the fridge.  Could this cause a problem?  I don't want the girls getting an ice freeze.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: Syrup from the fridge -- too cold?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 11:27:17 am »
May cause a little extra condensation depending on type of feeder, other than that, I don't see a problem, Bee Brain Freeze?  :-D

Warm it next time though.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline josbees

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 11:33:44 am »
Thanks.  Yes, I'll get it up to temp first.  And being so cold, he said it poured like molasses.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 11:55:15 am »
The bees feed more readily when the syrup is warm.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 08:27:10 pm »
They will just ignore it until it warms up.  They will certainly take it faster warm than lukewarm especially if it's at all chilly out.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 11:30:54 am »
Josbees.  Sugar syrup does not require refrigeration, it would take quite a long time to go bad.  The bees do not like cold sugar syrup, and dependent upon colony size, may take an awful long time to warm up, this could be bad for the bees, if they need food and cannot ingest it.  Have a most wonderfully awesome day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

anything