Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Removal from storage shed wall  (Read 2941 times)

Offline cklspencer

• House Bee
    • 3 bee honey
Removal from storage shed wall
« on: July 18, 2011, 03:44:08 pm »
Last week I received a call about a swarm at Camp Williams. After further investigation was done the results were bees in the wall of a storage building. I'm not a big fan of doing cut outs, but in this situation I was more than willing to try and help out. I was sent pictures of the storage building and made arraignments to remove the bees on Friday. When I got there the removal looked even easier than I thought it was going to be. Most end up going the other way. I was able to open of the wall by removing some nails and cutting some boards. The bees looked like they had moved in earlier in the spring. The comb was all light colored and still very soft. There was a few people who were very interested in seeing what was going on as well as getting a taste of some of the honey. I was able to cut a few pieces of comb out and satisfy some of the sweet tooth’s. The removal only took a few hours as I took my time. This is the first removal I did completely without gloves. I had on the bee jacket the whole time but I may have been able to get away without it. Not a single sting on this one. I was able to find the queen on the third piece of comb I removed and get her place in the box. I picked the girls back up later that night and they look like they are going to do just fine.

Offline schawee

• Field Bee
Re: Removal from storage shed wall
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 04:08:16 pm »
great job, alot of new comb there.
BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP

Offline gardeningfireman

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 04:24:26 pm »
They should ALL be that easy!! Most of the time they are a hot, sweaty nightmare! But I still like doing them. :-D

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 10:35:35 pm »
Sweet.

Offline twintrades

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 11:20:32 pm »
Its cool to see what bees can do with no help. Good job Btw

Offline Keeperwannabe

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 02:31:08 am »
That is awesome.  Did you just take the bees or try to keep the comb intact and get it into supers?

Offline Tommyt

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 08:26:59 am »
Looks like candle stick bee comb very nice looking.
Thanks for taking the time to picture the removal.
Did you cage the queen or let her go about checking
the new place out without having to hear from her architects :)

Tommyt
"Not everything found on the internet is accurate"
Abraham Lincoln

Offline cklspencer

• House Bee
    • 3 bee honey
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2011, 10:38:57 am »
Did you just take the bees or try to keep the comb intact and get it into supers?

When I do a removal I remove everything. I put the comb with the brood into deep frames with some honey and bagged up the rest of the comb that couldn't be placed in frames.

Did you cage the queen or let her go about checking

Most of the time I have a queen clip or two with me to cage the queen. On this one I had left the clip at home. The queen was on the third piece of comb I cut out so I just stuck her in the box. Once I was done with the removal and had everything closed back up, I placed the hive near the original entrance and the bees were fanning telling the rest of the new location.

Offline D Semple

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2011, 11:29:27 am »
Good job, funny that those bees chose to run their comb front to back instead of side to side in that wall.

Thanks for posting.

Don

Offline yockey5

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2011, 12:05:07 pm »
Great post!!!!

Offline Keeperwannabe

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2011, 02:38:02 am »
How do you hold up the cut out pieces in a super? Just curious, a lot of ideas out there, just wanted to see which ones get used.

Offline cklspencer

• House Bee
    • 3 bee honey
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2011, 05:00:07 pm »
How do you hold up the cut out pieces in a super? Just curious, a lot of ideas out there, just wanted to see which ones get used

I like to use rubber bands. I've tried string but rubber bands are mush easier I think.