Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: assembling hives??  (Read 11809 times)

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
Re: assembling hives??
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2008, 03:33:58 pm »
I use gorrila glue for the frames.

This stuff is the best.  I use it for all my wooden hive components.  Talk about strong stuff.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline buzzinonbowen

• Brood
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2008, 03:59:27 pm »
Heres a few pics of some of the parts.

Work backwards through the photos. Somehow my photoloader loaded them backwards :-\

Thank you VERY much for these photos. I have taken the liberty of assembling them into a PDF http://www.digitallyhip.com/pdfs/hiveassembly.pdf

If you want me to delete it, just say the word.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 04:23:52 pm by Robo »

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2008, 09:29:14 am »
Buzzinonbowen.  Welcome to our forum, stick around and enjoy some interesting topics and threads.  Tell us a little bit about yourself, in the Greetings forum, we love to have new members and love to hear about the lives of other people, this is a great place to learn, learn more, ask questions of all manner, with answers that are all great.  So, good to have you hear, have a great and wonderful day, love our life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Ross

• Field Bee
    • http://www.myoldtools.com
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2008, 03:41:47 pm »
Thank you VERY much for these photos. I have taken the liberty of assembling them into a PDF http://www.digitallyhip.com/pdfs/hiveassembly.pdf
I started out just nailing frames and doing them one at a time.  I now know better on both counts.  Here is the voice of experience....

Nailing frames that way is guaranteed to have them pull apart.  Frames can get quite heavy full of honey, and they get glued into the box by propolis so they have to withstand prying.  Nailing into endgrain has no strength, and you didn't use glue either.  Nail frames 90 degrees to the pulling direction.  On the top bar, nail into the end bar under the lip, or into the ears (like you did).  This gives some strength as the nail can't simply pull out, it has to break wood.  The nail straight down into the top does nothing.  On the bottom, nail from the sides through the bottom bar.  Always use glue as well.  It's stronger than any nail.  Also, you'll wear yourself out assembling one frame at a time.  Build a simple jig....
http://www.myoldtools.com/Bees/framejig/framejig.htm
And buy yourself a cheap brad gun and a small compressor.
www.myoldtools.com
Those who don't read good books have no advantage over those who can't---Mark Twain

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2008, 07:00:22 am »
I was just throwing together the way to assemble them. I glue everything and have yet to have any frames boxes etc come apart.When glued well ,the glue seems to supercede the nails.

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2008, 10:52:56 pm »
    My fingers can tell you when I run out of screws and have to use nails.  I tried small screws on frames but the brads do better and my fingers again don't, even with needlenose pliers in use. 

Oh yeah my clothes can tell you all about gorilla glue and how good it is.  After a couple years I've had to redo my boxes that I used carpenters glue (indoor/outdoor) on. :oops:
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

anything