Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Problem!!!!  (Read 1978 times)

Offline Ocean

• House Bee
Problem!!!!
« on: March 25, 2006, 04:17:57 pm »
Today was my first inspection, i went into the winter pretty well.. Both of my hives overwintered pretty good... Well today i did my inspection and first hive was beatufiul Everything is good NO VARROA MITES and queen is laying....

Second Hive : i picked up the super and accidently ripped some of the brood that was hanging between the body and the super... and guess what i found on one ( only ONE ) of the broods: ::( :( :( Varroa Mite...

Pictures below will prove what i've found...

I was automatically disapointed :(, because i know what kinda of damage they can do.

Here is my questions.. I'm new to beekeeping, this is my second season and iam kinda disapointed because i don't want this to grow out of control....

Now i need all the help you guys can give me...

What should i do for my second hive so varroa won't spread... and what about the first hive.. that seemed like it was doing pretty well...

and one more thing.. how does varroa get in my hive? do they climb the 2 feet legs that i builted or they attach themselves to the bees when the bees are working the flowers?

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Problem!!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2006, 04:33:01 pm »
>Well today i did my inspection and first hive was beatufiul Everything is good NO VARROA MITES and queen is laying....

You HAVE Varroa mites in the hive.  You just didn't see any.  How are you inspecting for Varroa?  Sugar roll?  Sticky board?  SBB with tray?  Ucapping drones?

>Second Hive : i picked up the super and accidently ripped some of the brood that was hanging between the body and the super... and guess what i found on one ( only ONE ) of the broods: :Sad Sad Sad Varroa Mite...

I bet you'll find them in the other hive if you uncap some there.

>I was automatically disapointed Sad, because i know what kinda of damage they can do.

You shouldn't be surprised.

>Here is my questions.. I'm new to beekeeping, this is my second season and iam kinda disapointed because i don't want this to grow out of control....

If you have bees on typical combs and you do nothing it will.

>What should i do for my second hive so varroa won't spread...

Like I said, they both have Varroa.  You just didn't find them in the first one.  The first thing I'd do is try to quantify the problem.  Do a 24 hour natural drop test and see how many Varroa are falling.  Second, I'd try to get them on natural sized cells.

>and what about the first hive.. that seemed like it was doing pretty well...

They both mgiht be doing pretty well.  You need to quantify the problem.

>and one more thing.. how does varroa get in my hive?

On bees.

> do they climb the 2 feet legs that i builted or they attach themselves to the bees when the bees are working the flowers?

They came in your package.  They came back when your bees robbed other hives.  They came with drifting drones from other hives.  They ALWAYS came on bees.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
Re: Problem!!!!
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2006, 04:44:25 pm »
Quote from: Ocean
i don't want this to grow out of control....

If you take care of bees varroa will be in your control. Now you saw that they are there.

Do not hesiate and do not try all tricks what others offer you. Just use carefully one or two good cure.

Keep in hives drone brood area and follow the mite amount in done pupas.

Offline Dale

• New Bee
    • Northeastern PA Beekeeping
Problem!!!!
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2006, 08:55:38 pm »
Yeah, you hava varroa in both hives.  I agree with MB though.  The first thing you need to do, is not get too excited.  Then you need to perform some type of test. Personally, if you have a screened bottom board, with a sticky board, monitor the mite fall.  If not, do a sugar roll test.  I describe it on my website, but will show pictures in the near future.  If you get an unsatifactory number, then its decision time.  If you have to use chemicals, do it.  It is alot cheaper than having to start all over.  I would reccomend that you get your bees on small cell foundation, use a screened bottom board if you are not, and decide how you are going to control them.  Finsky is right, I would use one or two proven cures.  If you take chances, you could lose it all by next year depending on the infestation.  Its up to you, but don't ignore it, or you will lose it.  And BTW, welcome to beekeeping!
Dale Richards
Dal-Col Apiaries
Drums, PA
www.hazleton.net/users/dalcol