Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hive take over?  (Read 1677 times)

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
Hive take over?
« on: September 25, 2013, 06:04:28 pm »
I went out today to take the supers off the hives. On one of the hives I noticed a large quality of very dark colored bees. Some were still the regular yellow and black but most of the hive was the dark colored. Did not have a camera but maybe Il get back out and snap some photos of the. I have not requeed my two hives since the tornado, last year or two years ago. Matter of fact I have not requeed them for probably 5 years. Are some Italians dark colored, almost black? Possibility of a Russian queen?   

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
Re: Hive take over?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 11:50:51 pm »
sounds like they requeened themselves 6 or 8 weeks ago and there are more new bees than old now.

Offline trapperbob

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 12:13:13 am »
Yep id say they requeened to seems like the dark bees tend to winter better for some reason just look in on them and feed if nessasary other than that watch there temperament and if you like it keep em if not nock off the queen and buy one

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 02:34:18 am »
Forgot to say they are not very nice. I was not even 10 feet from the hive and was already getting hit. I just found out another guy in town has been doing bees for a couple years and has some good bees. Plan is to move the bees this winter, requeen, and see what happens.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 09:01:51 am »
Forgot to say they are not very nice. I was not even 10 feet from the hive and was already getting hit. I just found out another guy in town has been doing bees for a couple years and has some good bees. Plan is to move the bees this winter, requeen, and see what happens.

now i want pictures.  most of my black bees are gentle.  you might have the elusive german bees.  if you do in april i'll send you a queen and a cage for you to send yours back in and pay the postage.  i've been looking for some old black bees.

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 05:01:34 pm »
Im going back out on Sunday to get my supers and Ill grab some photos. I already have plans to requeen in spring.

anything