Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Midsummer day, who has?  (Read 5297 times)

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
Midsummer day, who has?
« on: June 23, 2005, 03:58:53 pm »
In Finland, Sweden and Norway  Midsummer day is great celebration. It is like Christmas.

Christmas is opposite Midsummer day and it is darkest day in the year.

Do you have celebration in your country  now?

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Midsummer day, who has?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2005, 06:09:38 pm »
As far as I know we don't have such celebration.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline leominsterbeeman

• House Bee
    • http://www.leominsterbeeman.com
Midsummer day, who has?
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2005, 10:13:08 pm »
It's not anything official ,  I think  we call it "summer solstice" or more commonly "the longest day of the year"

I beleive it it very important to pagans, something  that I am completely ignorant on.

Wouldn't mid-summer day be in the middle of summer?  Didn't we just start summer?
Michael Keane
leominsterbeeman@comcast.net
http://www.leominsterbeeman.com

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
Midsummer day, who has?
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2005, 11:08:20 am »
:D  :D  :D There's a vast majority who celebrate regularly on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays.  Why?  Because they only come once a week.  These celebrations normally involve imbibing excessive amounts of alcoholic beverages and sports.   :D  :D  :D
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
Re: Midsummer day, who has?
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2007, 06:43:17 pm »
i've been surfing these treads and found this one..guess what day it is today (well actually it will be tommorow, but finsky also posted it one day early!
so... besides all the celebrations that take place around here, i would just like to add that summer solstice is also some kind of a beeks reminder. after june 24. the bee colony development slowly starts to go---ermm backwards, the brood nest starts to shrink, honey flows are fewer if any etc etc.

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2007, 09:28:43 pm »
Anything hinting at pagan roots that hasn't been co-opted by a christian holiday doesn't really fly in the US. Summer solstice is pretty much a scientific observation at best.
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2007, 04:34:31 am »
now..pagan is just rude, it's not your fault you use this term, but it really bothers me how everyone use it, but it's the people that study religions that use it, and it's just wrong.
if we use word ISLAM for alternative religion, why do we use word PAGAN for some other religion?
although...islamic people don't make same mistakes as us, they use "infidels" for everyone not islamic.

ermmm Moonshae, christianity....is based on older religions, but it is true that summer solstice doesn't take any particular role in christian. but if you look at other christian holidays, and know at least a few things about the religions it stomper, you see it's nothing but a copy. and most of saints, symbols as well. this is why christianity differes from country to country, because it had different religions to...copy and root out.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2007, 08:22:14 am »
Like Halloween?

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2007, 02:58:21 pm »
The big summer celebration here in the US is the fourth of July.  It's about two weeks after the Summer Solstice.

The Lakota have the Sundance as the summer religious rite.  But it lands anywhere from Early June to Mid August.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2007, 04:24:14 pm »
yeah buzzbee, halloween has ancient roots as well.

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2007, 11:38:52 am »
So does Christmas.

Actually there are many of us who follow the Pagan type celebrations.  I love Christmas and the traditions, the family, etc. but to me it's the Yule season, google that and see what the Winter Solstice celebrations are really about!  It's true that christianity coopted many of the pagan holy days, Christ was actually born in early spring, I've heard March, but they (the christians) had already coopted Olestra as Easter, so they took the Yule season and made it into his birthday. 

The Winter Solstice is my favorite solstice, it means the return of light, even though we've got to get through winter, it's getting lighter and lighter daily, and that makes me happy.  Plus, we have to have winter to have Spring, my absolute favorite time of year.  The Summer Solstice is my least favorite, the days start to grow shorter (even though it gets hotter 'n heck, like it is now  :().

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2007, 03:59:05 pm »
this is one of the many things why i "hate" the official Catholic church. they're claiming something that isn't theirs!!! like... around Slovenia there are hundreds of villages/towns called Å entVid (SvetiVid), which basicly means HolyVid. now...church claims Holy Vid is a christian saint etc etc.-.. BUT, in our old religion, the Svetovid was one of the highest gods (maybe if you read Svantevith it makes more sense).

same goes for all the holidays, all the customs and all the saints. everything about Church is just ...stolen, fake..

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2007, 07:59:28 pm »
Generally because of the latitude of most of the contenital US we receive a normal amount of sunlight. However in certain areas of Alaska. I hear they have some local celebrations.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2007, 03:58:22 am »
understudy, it's not about the "eternal" day/night. it's a normal process, and i think that me and Beemaster are almost in the same lattitude.

"o' kresi se dan povesi" translation would be: "at bonfire day starts to sink"
(we burn large bonfires at summer solctice and 1. may)

Offline organicgrl37

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2007, 11:07:59 am »
Brother Sun and Mother Moon,
Day is longest now.

Energies of the brilliant Sun
Aid all at work
Or having fun.

Longest day,
A blessing is,
From rise to set supreme is the Sun.

Fueling growth and
passions bright,
Strong and true is the solar light.

Bounty grows
And river flows,
As Earth is warmed and lighted.

Creative energy reaches zenith
on this day of shortest night.

Crops grow high and excitement grows,
with each new ray of Sun.

Every day,
All creatures play
and hail the mighty Sun.

Ancient solstice,
Fires burning,
Honor the Sun and feed the light.

Druid, Indian, Norse, and Celt all danced
on Summer Solstice,
joyously felt.

Solar winds
and solar flares
Wash away our hunger and our cares.

Mighty Sun,
King of warmth,
Makes humans to frolic and bees to swarm.

Keep this day
In memory bright,
To warm you on long winter nights.

May the rays of solstice keep us warm,
All through the year.

The Sun has kissed
Flower field and tree,
The Sun is supreme.

Shanti, shanti, shanti....

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2007, 10:32:14 am »
organicgril37.  Beautiful, I love the way your life thoughts, by the way.  Have the wonderful day, beautiful life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service