Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: hard one I need help  (Read 4730 times)

Offline Haddon

• House Bee
  • FEMA Trailer Removal
    • Mikes Bee Removal
hard one I need help
« on: March 28, 2012, 11:20:13 am »
okay just got a call from a apartment complex.

Brick all 2 stories
Bees are going in next to a window second story
They tried a exterminator did nothing.
they have opened the wall inside said they found nothing

From this I am thinking behind the brick between the wood and brick.

If so can I remove the wood on the inside and the brick not come tumbling down like humpty dumpty?

Trapout might be the other option but I dont like leaveing any equipment there not the greatest area to leave your stuff unattended.

I am going to look at it this afternoon will take yall some pics.

Any advise will be helpfull I am getting that bore scope Friday I dont care if it take a 5/8 inch hole I will buy quark plugs :)

I really want to know what happens if I take the wall board down on the inside could that be fixed after the removal?? Manager keeps asking if that could be done.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Re: hard one I need help
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 11:27:10 am »
Keep probing behind the drywall. The space between the brick veneer and the sheathing is usually quite small and is not enough for the bees to build. They are probably going in by the window and traveling between the brick and sheathing until they find an opening in the sheathing to access the stud space. I've had them travel over 10'.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Oblio13

• House Bee
    • Philosophizing with a Hammer
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 11:50:10 am »
A Doctor buddy loaned me a stethoscope once to find bees. It worked pretty well.

Offline nella

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 12:15:57 pm »
Maybe a heat sensing tool to find the cluster on the inside wall?

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 12:39:49 pm »
okay just got a call from a apartment complex.

Brick all 2 stories
Bees are going in next to a window second story
They tried a exterminator did nothing.
they have opened the wall inside said they found nothing

From this I am thinking behind the brick between the wood and brick.

If so can I remove the wood on the inside and the brick not come tumbling down like humpty dumpty?

Trapout might be the other option but I dont like leaveing any equipment there not the greatest area to leave your stuff unattended.

I am going to look at it this afternoon will take yall some pics.

Any advise will be helpfull I am getting that bore scope Friday I dont care if it take a 5/8 inch hole I will buy quark plugs :)

I really want to know what happens if I take the wall board down on the inside could that be fixed after the removal?? Manager keeps asking if that could be done.

You may need a  infrared thermometer gun all so

http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/diagnostics/non-contact-laser-thermometer-96451.html

Just my $0.02

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline Haddon

• House Bee
  • FEMA Trailer Removal
    • Mikes Bee Removal
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 01:15:28 pm »
I have the thermal gun.
I have yet to find a hive with it might just be operator error. I will take the gun and I have a stethoscope for auto repair might try it.

Hardwood I had one last year that was between the brick and wall board. God only knows how big that one piece of comb got.

Online G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 06:59:55 pm »
I have found several using the IR thermometer, just watch for slight changes in the temp, most times only 3 to 5 degrees and that will be on top or sides of the colony, usually will not have any temp change on the bottom. I can feel the slight heat change with my bare hand most times.

here is a trap out I started a while back and show the slight diff in the temp.

Gatlinburg cabin honey bee trap out, part 1

Placing your ear on the wall works good also, just give a little bump and they will buzz.
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline jredburn

• House Bee
    • Poorboybees
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 11:56:25 pm »
Haddon,
The drywall is attached to the outside edge of the stud.  When you cut it out from the inside, there is no place to attach it to when you want to replace it.  And you must replace it or the wall will fill up with critters.
What you can do is drill holes through it and stick the bore scope in there to what is going on and where the bees are going.  When you are done, slab some drywall mud or joint compound in the hole and put duct tape over it.
Depending on how the house was built the bees could be going any direction but they are probably going up.  If you could get into the attic and crawl to the top of the wall you would probably find them.
Hope this helps
Joe

Offline Haddon

• House Bee
  • FEMA Trailer Removal
    • Mikes Bee Removal
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 08:43:58 pm »
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/140/20120328180612.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/546/20120328180102.jpg/

well this is what I saw.

Manager said the maitnence man looked in the attic no bees.

I am think they are behind the fritz board and may be the brick might be in the eve.

What yall think.

I am getting a bore scope tomorrow and will go back to check with it oh and my temp gun broke.

Offline backyard warrior

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 08:55:30 pm »
not to rain on the party but id go buy myself a nuc and let the bees in the wall just my two cents :)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 10:06:55 pm by backyard warrior »

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2012, 10:05:36 pm »
When looking at the window on the outside, are the bees on the left side or top right corner. If TRC, the bees are in the soffit.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Haddon

• House Bee
  • FEMA Trailer Removal
    • Mikes Bee Removal
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2012, 10:15:13 pm »
I have yet to decide what I am going to charge but I would bet its going to be high. :)

First words out of my mouth thats a horrible place for them to be.

They are going behind the brick at the upper right side of the window and the exterminator drilled holes and stuff them full of I guess something like seven dust but thats inside the apartment and I would bet money they are not in that wall.

Why you say sofit iddee
 it scared me looks a lot like the one I did last year that was behind the brick and fritz board so it looked like they were in the sofit.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2012, 10:25:41 pm »
If not in the wall from the inside, where else is there a reasonably open space. The soffit is the only place left with a large open area. I don't think they will build in a 2in. space when they have a 6 in. space only inches away.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline JackM

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2012, 09:08:44 am »
That looks to be 1950-1960 construction, max space between 2x4 and brick won't be over 1/2 inch.  Being so close to soffit and not in the attic, I agree with Iddee, they are in the soffit  BUT I have never done a cutout, so I know nothing.
Jack of all trades
Master of none.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2012, 09:48:41 am »
I have yet to decide what I am going to charge but I would bet its going to be high. :)

First words out of my mouth thats a horrible place for them to be.

They are going behind the brick at the upper right side of the window and the exterminator drilled holes and stuff them full of I guess something like seven dust  but thats inside the apartment and I would bet money they are not in that wall.

Why you say sofit iddee
 it scared me looks a lot like the one I did last year that was behind the brick and fritz board so it looked like they were in the sofit.

You need to get paid for the extractionat at is about the money the honey and wax may have sevin in at and is trash and the bees are just the bonus.Just my $0.02

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 09:59:59 am by Jim 134 »
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

anything