Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Oil your Air Tools !!!  (Read 4205 times)

Offline NWIN Beekeeper

• Professional Beekeeper
  • House Bee
Oil your Air Tools !!!
« on: July 29, 2008, 11:33:59 am »
I noticed that a lot of you (like me) are using the habor freight air stapler for frames.

I like mine a lot, but I have had to exchange a couple broken ones.

If they are not well oiled (daily or every couple staple reloads) they will break.
The driver pin that pushes the staple is made where it can break.
Proper oiling seems to prevent or at least prolong the failure.

Keep in mind, I have found this fault typically after assembling a 200 frame batch without oiling.

With the cheaper price, I like having two, one for 1"+ staples and one for 3/4".

There is nothing new under the sun. Only your perspective changes to see it anew.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Re: Oil your Air Tools !!!
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 11:53:43 am »
Do you know which model you have. I have this one

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=40116

Robo says he has this one,

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=97524

Only difference I see is the price.  :shock:
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 12:13:30 pm »
Jerry,

They look the same to me and I'm not sure what part number one I have,  the specs are the same.  Mine actually came as a kit with a plastic case, oil, brads, and staples.  That was like 5 years ago.

I do notice that the driver pin will not retract and stick down if not kept oiled.  Couple of drops of oil solves the issue.

It is the blue harbor freight one that I don't like,  I don't think it takes the large staples and maybe not even brads...
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 01:14:37 pm »
Yep, yep. Got the case, brads and staples. There is the number on mine #40116 Might look at yours and see. I wonder if one number is with the case and the other is just the air gun? The 40116 just the gun and the 97524 is with the extra?

Anyway.... I know a friend of mine had one that looks like these but brad only and it came with an extra driver pin. We had to replace it because it bent.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline NWIN Beekeeper

• Professional Beekeeper
  • House Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 06:39:35 pm »
[...one number is with the case and the other is just the air gun..]

Exactly, you hit the nail (staple) right on the head.

Actually I have one of each. 
They can be exchanged in 30 with receipt.
So if I break one, I buy one and exchange one.

I've seen the same one at bee shows for $60+ (Crooks).
There is nothing new under the sun. Only your perspective changes to see it anew.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 12:07:52 am »
I took the lazy way out, I installed and moisture filter and self oiler in-line.  I then put a 3-way nipple outlet after that.  I can use up to three tools at once, just lay one down and pick up the one I need.  I have to bleed the water out of the water filter about once a week, but I have to do that on the main tank as well, so I just do them both at the same time. 

Today I used the brad nailer, the stapler, and the framing nailer, all hooked up at the same time.  Other times I can use the torque wrench and tire inflator or several other tool combinations at the same time.

The filter/oiler cost about $14 from Harbor Freight.  The Framing nailer I got for $69, and the brad nailer and stapler were both less than $20.  The most expensive parts were the compressor, the torque wrench set w/die grinder, and the paint sprayer kit.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline NWIN Beekeeper

• Professional Beekeeper
  • House Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 02:15:34 am »
[Today I used the brad nailer, the stapler, and the framing nailer,... torque wrench and tire inflator or several other tool combinations at the same time.]

I didn't realize that you build aircraft carriers as a hobby!!  :-D

-Jeff

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 09:01:27 am »
I took the lazy way out, I installed and moisture filter and self oiler in-line.  I then put a 3-way nipple outlet after that.  I can use up to three tools at once, just lay one down and pick up the one I need.  I have to bleed the water out of the water filter about once a week, but I have to do that on the main tank as well, so I just do them both at the same time. 

That's a great solution if you don't paint or if you keep separate air hoses for painting.   
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 01:28:10 pm »
mine does two sizes of brads and two sizes of staples.  i find i only use the long ones.  good reminder on oiling things.  i oil everything, but my husband oils nothing until it sticks and reminds him  :-).
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline hankdog1

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2008, 10:22:02 pm »
Well i'll keep in mind to stay away from them.  I love my little Dewalt brad nailer though.  I hope it doesn't give any problems like your talking about.  Sure does make putting foundation in frames a snap.  Plus it's saved me more money then it cost with me missing a nail and busting the foundation.
Take me to the land of milk and honey!!!

Offline wtiger

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2008, 05:26:29 pm »
Just make sure you read your instructions.  Many of the better tools use sealed grease lubrication and oiling them will wash out the grease and ruin them.