Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Wax support for radial vs tangential extractors  (Read 2399 times)

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
Wax support for radial vs tangential extractors
« on: October 19, 2007, 10:57:22 am »
Is horizontal wire support necessary for radial extractors? Tangential extracting seems to exert more pressure outward along the full side of the frame, so I see why it is necessary there (learned that way back when during my first extraction...what a mess). But since a radial extractor applies force from the bottom through the frame and out the top, it doesn't seem like the horizontal wiring would be necessary.

I was also considering using the pins, instead of wiring the foundation, if I will need to support the wax. Any opinions on that? (Ok, silly question...there are always opinions...)
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline Zoot

• House Bee
Re: Wax support for radial vs tangential extractors
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2007, 11:41:19 am »
I use an Italian 9 frame radial. This summer was my first experience extracting from frames (medium only) with no supports. They were all starter strip frames and they all extracted fine with no collapse. Some beekeepers had warned me against doing this but I found - per advice here from Brian and Micheal - that as long as the comb has had several weeks to fully attach and strengthen that there is no problem. They even held up through several extractions where the room temp was in the 90's.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Wax support for radial vs tangential extractors
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 08:18:30 pm »
>Is horizontal wire support necessary for radial extractors?

I extract unwired combs all the time.  Both thin surplus foundation and no foundation.  The requirements for success are that the comb is attached at least a little on all four sides and that it has matured for at least a few weeks (meaning it's not brand new comb that is soft like putty).  And, of course, you should always be gentle when extracting wax combs, wired or not.  Start slow and after half or more of the honey is out, then you can start edging up to faster.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin