Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Honey prices  (Read 10673 times)

Offline jester7891

• House Bee
Honey prices
« on: July 03, 2009, 09:29:00 pm »
I just got back from the Kutztown Festival (a realy nice little festival yearly around July 4th in eastern PA - lots of things for everyone of all ages to do.  Worth going to if you're in the area.  Great Pa Dutch food).  Honey was for sale:

12oz plastic bear was $4.50
                      5lb bottle was $19
                      3/4lb comb was $8 (approx 5x5in)
                      1lb glass bottle was $5
                      2lb glass bottle was $9

People were buying. What do you all think of those prices?

Jester

Offline MustbeeNuts

• Field Bee
    • Great White Betta
Re: Honey prices
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 09:41:02 pm »
 I think last time I checked the average retail price for honey was 4.68, the average case price per pound wholesale was 3.34lb. so thats close, then again add the cost of jars and labor, I always figured 5.00 lb. at least thats what I ask for and get. don't do the bears, might this year tho.
Each new day brings decisions,  these are  new branches on the tree of life.

Offline MustbeeNuts

• Field Bee
    • Great White Betta
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 09:45:05 pm »
OK I just checked national honey board and those are the prices for Jun o9. so there pretty close for sure.
Each new day brings decisions,  these are  new branches on the tree of life.

Offline buzz1356

• Brood
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 12:34:34 am »
Canadian prices, Bee Maid  1Kg Creamed (2.2 LBS) $12.49

EVERYTHING  is more expensive in Canada, ..... we have free medicare.... I hear its coming your way in the USA

Offline BruinnieBear

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 04:09:03 am »
Don't rub it in! :shock:
Some days you just have to learn the hard way!

Bruce & Minnie Fairbanks

Offline wxton

• New Bee
    • Beagles, Bees and Cloudy Days
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 09:47:44 am »
Not if we can help it!!
Hopefully I learned more today than I forgot yesterday!!

Britt

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 12:08:32 pm »
I've been charging $7.00 per pint and $13.25 per quart.  It's selling well.  I went to the grocery store the other day and saw 1/2 pints going for around $5 and some change.  I think mine is a bargin for a higher quality product.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline Rebel Rose Apiary

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009, 12:12:42 pm »
Not if we can help it!!

I second that!

Now to keep this thread on the subject of honey.....I seen that you stated the prices of honey in GLASS....glass costs more, so I would make sure that I got my investment back on the extra price for glass containers.

I want to know what the prices for COMB honey are? Ross Rounds, etc.

Most of my customers want comb honey. I use it myself for treating my asthma and allergies.

Brenda

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2009, 12:02:14 pm »
Yes, I would like to know this, too. Having topbars, most of mine will be honeycomb or comb honey. Just to clarify, comb honey is a jar of honey with a chunk of honeycomb in it, right?

Does anybody give deposits for returned jars and bottles?

Also, do you all have great companies for bottling supplies?
The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

Offline slaphead

• House Bee
  • Obsessive, compulsive & happy
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2009, 12:20:39 pm »
Cut comb (standard size, square) sells for as little as $8 here (Seattle).

SH
The only thing we have to fear is fear itself - FDR, 1933

Offline alflyguy

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2009, 03:01:12 pm »
I've sold all that I harvested this year (about 14 gallons from two hives) in glass pint jars. I got $6.50 each. It really goes fast here in north Central Alabama. ---Why is everyone I've talked to against government controlled health care yet all the politicians are for it?---

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2009, 09:24:38 pm »
I get $8.00 for a glass pint jar here in Central Ga. Sales have been good. I seeded the market with free samples. Now that I have them hooked they return for more. I got that idea from the crack dealers. :)

Steve

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline gguidester

• New Bee
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2009, 11:28:32 pm »
I just pulled off 150 lbs. last week-end.  I sell it for $7.00 for a pint wide mouth canning jar and $3.75 per 1/2 pint.  I do  also give aquaintenances $0.50 back if they return one of my jars.  Jars are closer to 75 cents new, but it seems to work.  Plus I get back more jars for free to sell to folks I don't make that offer to.  My prices seem higher than the average but I ran out in may this year so something is working.  I'll get a pic of my labels.  I think they are cool and somewhat original..  See ya!   :)

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2009, 12:53:10 am »
I seeded the market with free samples. Now that I have them hooked they return for more. I got that idea from the crack dealers. :)

I love that idea :D I already do it with my eggs and vegetables. Now planning to do it with some bee's wax lip balm I've made. Crossing fingers for oodles of honey next year!

What do you use for sample-size containers? Or do you just fill up a spoon and tell your victim to open their mouth?  ;)
The pedigree of honey
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2009, 01:19:14 am »
Does anybody give deposits for returned jars and bottles?

Also, do you all have great companies for bottling supplies?

No, I don't want them back. Especially if I sell the plastic bears which I plan to sell primarily from here on out.  The glass cuts into the profits.

I go to Mann Lake for the squeeze bears.  Wal-Mart if doing mason jars.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline gaucho10

• House Bee
    • Bees, Bats and Beyond
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2009, 01:28:45 am »
I don't take anything back from a costumer.  Once its sold its yours!
I will never again buy plastic bears.  Getting a half decent sticker for it is a pain in the beeswax!  I will get rid of what I got and then go with minimum 1 lb. bottles.  I sell at $6.00/lb. w/o a problem here in MA.
My favorite comedy program used to be Glenn Beck--The only thing is that after I heard the same joke over and over again it became BOOOORING.....

People who have inspired me throughout my life---Pee-wee Herman, Adolph Hitler, George W. Bush, Glenn Beck.
Notice I did not say they were people who I admire !!!

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2009, 09:24:03 am »
I seeded the market with free samples. Now that I have them hooked they return for more. I got that idea from the crack dealers. :)

I love that idea :D I already do it with my eggs and vegetables. Now planning to do it with some bee's wax lip balm I've made. Crossing fingers for oodles of honey next year!

What do you use for sample-size containers? Or do you just fill up a spoon and tell your victim to open their mouth?  ;)

I give away pints. Most of the ones that I give away are to customers of my other job. (remodeling contractor) The freebees have two purposes, good relations with  my customers while seeding future sales. It has worked out very well for me. One customer just called yesterday and wanted to make sure that I would have 8 pints. He was going to give them away to his customers for Christmas presents. That will be a $64 sale.

Steve 
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline joker1656

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2009, 11:49:31 am »
New beek, so not a huge harvest this year.  What little I sold, I sold at $5 small bear, $5 for 1# plastic bottle, $8 for glass pint, $10 for glass pint chunk honey. 

My better half made a loaf of bread the morning I took the honey to work.  I sat the bread, a knife, and a sample jar of honey out.  It was all gone by a little after noon, and I pocketed $115.   :-D

I have more to pull, but I think I will use most of it for us, and give the rest as gifts. 
"Fear not the night.  Fear that which walks the night.  I am that which walks the night, BUT only EVIL need fear me..."-Lt. Col. David Grossman

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2009, 01:32:04 pm »
Awesome idea, Joker! I really, really hope to be able to use ideas like this next year!
The pedigree of honey
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

anything