Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Ready for winter?  (Read 6344 times)

Offline MustbeeNuts

• Field Bee
    • Great White Betta
Re: Ready for winter?
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2009, 09:20:57 pm »
Mustbeenuts,

I have 3 mediums on top of a deep and have been wondering if I should take the top one off.

My experience is that one deep is enough to winter for  that colony. Take all 3 mediums off.

In your area it might not matter, in the cold I do it to help keep warmth, smaller space more bees= more heat. Also they back fill the hive bodies, and you can harvest the top, in a really cold climate like finski has and in the northland, they don't move up to the third super anyway. Just sits there, so you might as well take it off.
Each new day brings decisions,  these are  new branches on the tree of life.

Offline skflyfish

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2009, 10:34:32 pm »
Well Al, I think I am close. This morning I pulled all the supers that I left on for cleaning. This afternoon I had to combine the nuc back into the original hive. That hive, and the original swarm are a little light on stores, despite the feeding. I will keep 2:1 baggies in the inner cover for a while for them. The only thing remaining to do is to add the insulation to the inner covers, but that won't happen till November.

For only a 56F day, and October to boot, the bees were quite gentle today.

I did find the remains of a mouse in the nuc. Amazing how it got in that tiny opening. Guess he wished he hadn't done that.  :)

Ya know Al, I might have time for that coffee now.  :-D

Jay

Offline Highlandsfreedom

• House Bee
    • Organic gardening and Bee Services.
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2009, 01:54:05 am »
Highlandsfreedom. How much Borage did you plant to get a sudden burst of stores like that ? How do you use it yourself ?

If you look up my youtube vids. search for  highlandsfreedom and you can get a view of our yard.  As for what we did it was ALL the bees.  It is now about 3 feet tall!!! It drowned out the dill we had planted in the middle.  It just keeps blooming!!!!  I will try and snap a pic of it 3 months after the vid was made and post it for you.
To bee or not to bee that is the question I wake up to answer that every morning...