Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Need for nucs  (Read 2362 times)

Offline txbeegal

• New Bee
Need for nucs
« on: April 01, 2013, 11:49:54 am »
When doing splits, do you HAVE to have a nuc box, or can you start another hive in a regular brood box??  Really confused at this point.  Thanks
Life is too short not to be a beekeeper:)

Offline BMAC

• Field Bee
    • http://WWW.OLEMCDONALD.COM
Re: Need for nucs
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 11:59:46 am »
It doesn't matter if you use a full sized box or NUC box.  The purpose of NUC boxes is to sell the NUC.  I have made hundreds of splits into standard 10 frame deep brood boxes.
God Bless all the troops
Semper Fi Marines!

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 12:18:15 pm »
TXB,
I do the walk away (split the brood chamber into 2 hives) into a 10 frame hive.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 12:25:05 pm »
I got some foil covered styrofoam and cut 14 3/4 by 9 1/2" followers and use one on each side to insulate and reduce the size of the area the bees have to climate control for brood rearing.  Expands as you need it to.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 01:28:10 pm »
splitting into nucs (or using followers) does seem to help them build up faster. The main reasons I use nucs are that they are lighter and I can fit more on the truck. When we do splits we might make several hundred of them at a time and move them to mating yards.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 09:48:52 pm »
And nucs are cheaper to build than full size hives.    :-D

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 10:33:27 pm »
They are fun sized hives. Easy to monitor and easy to work.
Bailey
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline schawee

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 11:59:56 pm »
split 4 hives late this evening and put them in a nuc. like scott said ease to handle......schawee
BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013, 01:13:01 am »
Also spliting to a NUC may help SHB problems if you have them. Easier for the bees to defend less space.
John 3:16

Offline txbeegal

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 04:04:36 pm »
I suppose that you have to wait for queen cells to do splits??  Or order another queen???  Dang, I have lots of questions.
Life is too short not to be a beekeeper:)

Offline Steel Tiger

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2013, 04:42:35 pm »
You can put a frame of eggs and larva in along with a frame of honey and pollen and a lot of workers bees. They'll get to work pretty quick on raising a new queen.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2013, 08:21:45 pm »
Also spliting to a NUC may help SHB problems if you have them. Easier for the bees to defend less space.

^^^^^ +1