Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Saftey warning signs or not?  (Read 20406 times)

Offline 1of6

• House Bee
  • Always learning...
Re: Saftey warning signs or not?
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2008, 02:08:00 pm »
"Only the Sith deal in absolutes."

That answer is probably somewhere in between.  Some of us have situations where a sign is warranted and proper.  Others don't have those requirements.  No use faulting someone for wanting to do the right thing.  That'd be like calling someone names for praying.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2008, 02:12:02 pm »
well....that's way to rational a response for this fun converstation....but, you are probably right.  there are probably some requirements for some people.  and some people do feel the urge to 'be responsible'.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Card

• House Bee
  • Ken
    • Wikipedia Photo Gallery
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2008, 03:18:27 pm »
You know, there's a flipside to all of this...

If one of your bees is in your neighbor's yard, and the neighbor or his children get stung, then your bee will die as a result of stinging them, right?

So sue your neighbor for planting flowers in his or her yard, failing to secure aforementioned flowers, and thereby creating an attractive nuisance which led a poor innocent honeybee to his death - causing you significant emotional pain, and major financial losses.
"You will come to learn a great deal if you study the insignificant in depth." - Buckaroo Banzai

Offline eri

• House Bee
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2008, 04:09:33 pm »
Why waste words?  ;)
On Pleasure
Kahlil Gibran
And to both, bee and flower, the giving and the receiving of pleasure is a need and an ecstasy.
People of Orphalese, be in your pleasures like the flowers and the bees.

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2008, 09:45:44 pm »
Local regulations notwithstanding, if I had beehives located at a "pick-your-own" farm, I'd put signs up. People could wander too close without noticing the hives, just looking around...I've seen plenty of oblivious people. It could also be informative to the curious, enticing them to look but not get too close. I'm not putting them in my backyard; I have .19 acres, both my next door neighbors know I have bees and think it's cool. No one goes into my backyard except me and my wife. I have some hives on some farms, and I don't put signs there, either. The farmer knows they are there, and no one else goes there.

"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2008, 09:57:32 pm »
Why waste words?  ;)

There's no need to point out that they can sting... again, all you have to post is 'bees'.  That's all I'm going to post.  That way no one will get the idea that they are dangerous, and people can be aware of them so they can keep their distance if they so choose.

I have to conceide that different situations require different measures.  There is at least one member on here who lives in a county in which it's illegal to keep bees, and in that case I certainly wouldn't put up signs (I'd still keep the bees by the way).  Or if your bees are well behind a fenced in area, I would have to agree that there's no need to post anything.  Or if you've got a lot of property with no trespassing signs up, and the hives are not near the property line, then I wouldn't put up signs in hopes that the bees WOULD sting trespassers.

Offline dhood

• House Bee
    • WD Hood Apiaries
« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2008, 12:31:31 am »
I put up one of the generic signs near the rear side of a beeyard facing the neighbor's property line, this beeyard is on my fathers land so I wanted to be cautious. And I would agree, the signs, along with the fact that they can visibly see the hives seems to make the neighbors weary. I wish I hadn't put it up, but now that it's done, I feel like taking them down now would be even more of a liability. If you don't already have them up, I would suggest a privacy fence. From my experience the neighbors don't seem to mind as much if they are not constantly reminded that they are there.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2008, 01:57:01 am »
Now here is a question....

What if you don't have bees but someone gets stung on your property and has a really bad reaction?

Perhaps everyone should put up signs as bees could bee any where. My first sting was at age five in my Aunt's back yard. They were not beekeepers. Who knows where the bee came from.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Hayesbo

• House Bee
  • My son. Almost 6 and loves helping me w/the bees
« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2008, 06:37:21 am »
To those of you who don't want to put up signs... if you truely believed that there wasn't anything wrong with keeping bees, why wouldn't you be willing to let others know you're doing it?

Anyone ever drive by a pasture or a gate over dirt track into the woods and see the sign that says "POSTED No hunting or fishing" ? You can see why someone would want to hunt either in the field or the woods. I always say to myself. "Ohh, they have a lake back there?? wonder if I know the owner, wonder what the lake looks like, wonder if there are any fish."

I fish maybe once a year but I always wish I could go more.  Those signs always make me wonder why they put a no fishing sign when you can't see a pond.

Steve

Offline octagon

• House Bee
« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2008, 09:31:44 am »
To those of you who don't want to put up signs... if you truely believed that there wasn't anything wrong with keeping bees, why wouldn't you be willing to let others know you're doing it?

I just think it's anyones business what I'm doing on my property long as i'm not doing anything illegal to damage their property. My bees are registered because the law says they have to be, i don't sell honey, i don't remove swarms from houses and i'm not interested in buying anyones used hives, they are about 400 yds from anyones property so in my case, signs are unneccessary. i'm sure one of my labs would nip anyone in the rearend before they got near the hives anyway, they set out there and watch the bees more than i do. everyone that needs to know that i have bees knows it.

Offline williamswilliamd4

• Brood
    • Sign Company NY
« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2019, 06:01:19 pm »
Signs play an important role in every field of our life. Whether we are at parking stand or at motor way or at construction sides the signs are guide us in a very effective and efficient way. I design some parking signs from Sign Company NY and found those signs very eye catchy and awesome in design and quality too.

Offline williamswilliamd4

• Brood
    • Sign Company NY
« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2019, 06:08:17 pm »
Safety Warning Signs are always very helpful. For example on construction sides the construction signs are very effectively communicate with people and restrict them that don't come near danger.  I use services Sign Company NY and buy some parking sign. The quality of signs is awesome and price is very reasonable.

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2019, 05:13:42 pm »
"Never ask a barber if you need a haircut."

A search of this or other beek forums will result in many instances of people that put up signs or warned their neighbors that they were going to get a beehive, with the result that neighbors started complaining about stings even before the hive was acquired.

My $.02,  what they don't know won't hurt them,  but what they think they know will get you blamed for every yellow jacket sting in the neighborhood.
Follow your local ordinances and keep a low profile.  Every Christmas when I take around my little gift of honey to the neighbors, half of them say "Oh, I didn't know you had bees."

Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2019, 11:28:57 pm »

A search of this or other beek forums will result in many instances of people that put up signs or warned their neighbors that they were going to get a beehive, with the result that neighbors started complaining about stings even before the hive was acquired.

My $.02,  what they don't know won't hurt them,  but what they think they know will get you blamed for every yellow jacket sting in the neighborhood.
Follow your local ordinances and keep a low profile.  Every Christmas when I take around my little gift of honey to the neighbors, half of them say "Oh, I didn't know you had bees."

Yep, out of sight, out of mind.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline FatherMichael

• House Bee
    • Deep Creek Apiaries and the Hive Shop
« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2019, 06:52:19 pm »
I'm thinking of putting up a sign like this on the gate to the property I've contracted for an apiary.  I know two things.  First, people drive down that road to have a picnic and, second, the bees I plan to put there next year are feral bees from South Texas of a known heritage.

WARNING
Africanized Bees
Not responsible for trespassers that die a horrible death
From anaphylactic shock due to multiple bee stings.

May need to post it in Spanish, too.

Dr. Seely reports that bees in Upstate New York have African genes.  I doubt that a single bee in North America does not have African genes in some measure.  Everyone has heard of killer African bees.
41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?

42 And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.

43 And he took it, and did eat before them.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2019, 11:45:22 pm »
I'm thinking of putting up a sign like this on the gate to the property I've contracted for an apiary.  I know two things.  First, people drive down that road to have a picnic and, second, the bees I plan to put there next year are feral bees from South Texas of a known heritage.

WARNING
Africanized Bees
Not responsible for trespassers that die a horrible death
From anaphylactic shock due to multiple bee stings.

May need to post it in Spanish, too.

Haa Haa not that is funny!

2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #56 on: August 23, 2019, 09:09:40 am »

One of our bee inspectors received a complaint saying he was getting stung by his neighbors bees. After talking to the person complaining, he went to the neighbor to check the hives. Turned out that he was thinking about getting bees and told his neighbor but he still did not have any bees yet.
Before I got my first hive, I talked to all of the property owners that were up against my property. Everyone was ok except the last one. He went biz-ark on me, threatened to kill me if his wife got stung and has never talked to me since. That was in 2010. If I could do a redo, I would not have told him.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Anonimo22

• House Bee
« Reply #57 on: August 24, 2019, 06:15:43 am »
A lot of the veteran beeks that have been doing it forever, often say they wouldn't advertise and still keep their hives out of sight whenever possible. (I think they mean even if you think you are in the right.)

Personally, my opinion here doesn't count for much; but I want to say that people don't act rationally. They will time and time again, bite the hand that feeds them. I've seen this my whole life. Humans species do this more than animals and its completely bizarre. Just yesterday I tried to help someone and they chewed me out verbally.

Another thing homo sapiens do is they have this irrational tendency to assign value to something based on only its outer appearance at the expense of all other virtues. And they'll even do it when something is pretty but has no virtues at all. (In disputes this can make them completely irrational and unpredictable.)

Homo sapians also likes to assign value to listening to sports idols, entertainment & popular icons, social media idols and so on, and will listen to these people give advise even if such people are drug addicts or good for nothing with brain damage, and put their opinion above people who actually have studied issues out, and use their brain power constantly trying to help people solve problems.

So I hope pointing out these 'species traits' will help you with your homo sapians management aspect of your beekeeping.

:) :) :)

Not being negative here, but just wanted to point out the species traits of the species you are trying to figure out in relation to your hive management behavior. I think the points above, directly affect your decision on signs and advertising your hive locations.

Good luck.

PS; homo sapians don't make very good honey on their own. They have also high robbing tendencies that homo sapians keepers have been trying to breed out for years and never have fully gotten rid of (and some say its increased), and they also require obscene amounts of space for their brood chambers with very slow buildup. But they are pretty good at cockroach and rodent resistance hygienics.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #58 on: August 26, 2019, 06:43:30 pm »
My position is never tell the neighbors you are getting bees.  After they notice (and they will eventually) everything they would have imagined has already not happened.  Telling them you are getting bees is like telling them you have a martian in your basement.  It's incomprehensible to them.  They picture millions of stinging insects roaming their yard looking for someone to sting...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Anonimo22

• House Bee
« Reply #59 on: August 27, 2019, 10:47:55 am »
I have warning signs indicating a " Working Honey Bee Yard " for stupid people who don't know what 15 hives and thousands of Bees flying about look like.    :-D

Can you post some pics? Please...

Sounds really neat to see.

anything