Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Lost my bees  (Read 2756 times)

Offline Lechwe

• House Bee
Lost my bees
« on: April 07, 2006, 07:38:54 am »
:( It looks like I lost my bees this winter. A buddy was down at our property and said he saw no bees flying and didn't hear anything going on when he put his ear against the hive. I'll check to make sure tomorrow but is sounds like they are all dead. Now I have to try and find someone with bees nearby that can split or has nucs.

Just had to whine a little bit.

Offline Jack Parr

• House Bee
Lost my bees
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2006, 07:59:50 am »
LOST YA BEES :?:

That calls for WINE ing :!:

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
Lost my bees
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2006, 09:21:11 am »
Hate to hear that Lechwe, but maybe you will find some replacements, Good luck!!!
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
Lost my bees
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2006, 11:13:31 am »
Have you ideas why? - for learning?

Offline thomashton

• House Bee
Lost my bees
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2006, 12:42:34 pm »
How far away from your hives are you? It seems kind of late in the year to just be finding this out.
After 18 months of reading and preparation, my girls finally arrived on April 11th (2006)!

Offline Lechwe

• House Bee
Lost my bees
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2006, 02:08:04 pm »
It is late in the year to find out, that is for sure. I'm about 40 miles away with way too much on my plate. I'm trying to find a place close by that I can keep them so I can keep better check on them during the winter. I get to see them most every weekend during the fall because they are on the property I hunt. But after December I don't get down there nearly as often as I would like. Of course I'm not sure I would have been able to do anything about it to begin with. My feeling and I will check this out this weekend is that they just starved. They had plenty of honey going into the winter but we had a stretch of cold that the temp never got above 22 or 23 for twenty-some days in a row. I just don't think they could break and move to fresh frames. Anyone have thoughts on that theory? The best I can come up with at this time.

Thanks

Darrell

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
Lost my bees
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2006, 03:23:34 pm »
Quote from: Lechwe
They had plenty of honey going into the winter but we had a stretch of cold that the temp never got above 22 or 23 for twenty-some days in a row. I just don't think they could break and move to fresh frames. Anyone have thoughts on that theory?

That kind of cold does not kill colony if it has food.  We had 2 months 0 F in row.

Wintering hive should have  5 frame bee ball or over. Proper space. Ventilation. Wind shelter.  Enough food. Insulated box is good.

manowar422

Lost my bees
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2006, 11:46:05 pm »
Now I have to try and find someone with bees nearby that can split or has nucs.

Why not put your name up on the net for swarm removals in
the nearest large city (Lansing?).
Swarms are easy and the price is right.
Your swarm season is just weeks away :)