Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: slatted racks using emt conduit ?  (Read 3640 times)

Offline tngold

• New Bee
slatted racks using emt conduit ?
« on: April 10, 2008, 10:40:58 pm »
I have been thinking about using metel conduit in my slatted rackes, bottom boards. I have a very good supply of plenty of good but used 5/8 od pipe. would you think there may be some problems using this stuff? The price of the pipe is free. Ive learned some times you get what you pay for. Has any one tryed to do this? Thanks in advance for your comments pro or con.
"consistency" key to adjustment

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
Re: slatted racks using emt conduit ?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 10:46:05 pm »
The biggest problem I see off the top of my head is the winter issue. The conduits will hang onto cold longer than wood dowels. Other than that I think they would be fine.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Angi_H

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 02:47:34 am »
I wouldnt use them as metal freezes and gets cold faster then wood. They also will old ice and frost longer. It would be like you placing ice cubes in the middle of your hive in winter.
Ever stick your tongue to a metal pole in the middle of a snow storm or when it is all frozen outside?

Angi

Offline tngold

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 07:52:43 am »
The cold conduit is a concern. what i had in mind was to build a bottom board with open bottom and screen, put the slats under the screen. This way the bees would not be in direct contact with the metel pipe. This would let the air flow work and let the mites fall thru. Just looks like the normal rack would loose some of the efect of a open mesh bottom. The dead air space is a good thing. Losing mites is good. life is good.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008, 02:04:01 am »
The cold conduit is a concern. what i had in mind was to build a bottom board with open bottom and screen, put the slats under the screen. This way the bees would not be in direct contact with the metel pipe.

This defeats the purpose of a slatted rack.  The advantage of the Slatted rack is that besides providing a thermal air layer at the bottom of the hive it also gives the excess bees a place to hang out so they aren't bearding and blocking the entrance.

This would let the air flow work and let the mites fall thru. Just looks like the normal rack would loose some of the efect of a open mesh bottom. The dead air space is a good thing. Losing mites is good. life is good.

Okay, but where do all those excess bees go on a hot day?  Back to clogging up the entrance.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline tngold

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 12:05:54 am »
Thanks Brian,points that do make me want to put a little more thought into this. For now I will keep using my old racks. As for more ventilation I use a full screen inner cover in warm weather , it appears to help cure honey faster and I see less bearding even when the hives are up to full strength. This was the first winter I used slatted racks I had no winter losses. (27 out of 27) So maybe best I dont fix it. Thanks for the comments.   Jeff :)