Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: I am so tired of painting.  (Read 26657 times)

Moots

Re: I am so tired of painting.
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2013, 05:11:54 pm »
someone dips their box boards in this green stuff. (copper napalate with diesel fuel)

A paper on the relative safety of copper naphthenate is available: http://128.104.77.228/documnts/pdf1984/kalni84a.pdf

Less than 1 ppm of Cu is added to honey and wax using the Cu preservative.   The paper does caution on using fuel oil as the diluting agent, as it does migrate into the hive.   Paper is older (in that Penta and other bad things were still on the market), but appears to be very responsibly researched.

My boxes are highly rot-resistant redwood and latex.  (Redwood fence boards converted to mediums)

ya from the article: "Few, if any, adverse findings resulted from treatments
of beehives with (1) a preservative-free water-repellent
solution, (2) copper naphthenate, (3) copper 8-
quinolinolate, and (4) ACC. Winter survival with these
treatments was better than or comparable to that in controls. Of these four treatments, only copper naphthenate
gave a slight increase in copper content of honey (less than
1 ppm)"

WOW!   The paper referenced was written in 1984....That's nearly 30 years ago...Personally, not sure I would put a whole lot of stock in it!

I did a little research on copper naphthenate since I had a friend that was using it to treat his equipment and it struck me as a bad idea.  A fairly quick search lead me to a couple of interesting facts.  First, I found out that it's against the law to use it to treat bee equipment in the State of Alabama.  Second, I read about some bee guru that had published a book or paper on raising bees around 1994 in which he suggested treating wooden ware with copper naphthenate.  He later said if he could go back and change one thing about that publication, it would be to remove that recommendation.  He said unfortunately many people still use it as a reference but the practice has since been proven to be bad for the bees and something that he would no longer recommend.

I didn't dig much further...those two pieces of info were enough for me to confirm my initial skepticism on the practice...

Offline shinbone

• New Bee
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2013, 02:45:43 pm »
This doesn't answer the OP's question, but for those researching what to put on their hives, I use Cabot 3000 deck stain.  It goes on easy, looks great, is very UV and water resistant, and is easy to just splash on some more in a few years when it needs recoating.  Not cheap, though, but for my couple-handful of hives it has worked great.
Zone 5B, elevation 5400 ft.

Offline ScooterTrash

• House Bee
  • ScooterTrash Forever
    • Vince & Pat's Apiaries
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2013, 10:12:06 pm »
hot wax dipping; see for these two an overview:
Dipping of beehives components in hot wax   
Beehive Wax Dipping 
Just got my stainless steel vat completed here; one component at a time. Start up costs $750 ($200 is for shp) for wax(s)

L = 24” x W = 18-1/4” x H = (9-5/8 + 9”) for headspace aka frothing so a Maximum Height of 18-5/8 

Wax(s)- Strahl & Pitsch in NY http://www.spwax.com/spparaff.htm
The Micro-crystaline only needs to be 30% of your mixture 70% paraffin.

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.

www.VPBEES.com

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2013, 03:12:34 am »
Ok, just wanted to post my choice. It's paint. Reason, it's known to me,  so easier. I will be doing it a bit differently. First, easier startup, equipment is available almost every where. I'm going with the airless sprayer. Stick the suction in a 5gal bucket and let her rip. Gonna use exterior latex. Just get it done.

Thannks for all the replies.  I really appreciate your help in this.

Ray
Later,
Ray

Offline adamant

• House Bee
Re: Re: I am so tired of painting.
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2013, 10:50:17 am »
All boxes gets sprayed.  I go to lowes and but the opps paint . I make sure its latex exterior.  Dump the gallons in a 5 gal bucket to mix up. Go to harbor fright and pick up a 9.00 airless electric sprayer  lay out a large blue tarp . At harbor fright theh have those wheeled wooden carts I place the boxes 6 high on the wheeled cart and wheel them on the tarp and sprqy them. Wheel them off and wheel the next set on.. done! Them I toss the sprqyer..

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2013, 03:44:27 am »
Go to harbor fright and pick up a 9.00 airless electric sprayer. Them I toss the sprqyer..

Kinda went the other way on the sprayer. Titan  440e, light commercial.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 08:42:11 am by RHBee »
Later,
Ray

Offline little john

• Super Bee
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2013, 08:35:27 am »
WOW!   The paper referenced was written in 1984....That's nearly 30 years ago...Personally, not sure I would put a whole lot of stock in it!

There's nothing wrong with research of that age, or even earlier ...  A lot of modern research is of a very poor standard, both as a result of funding bias, and the dubious quality of those modern graduates who engage in it.

On the subject of glues allegedly 'melting': why not simply use temperature-resistant glues such as epoxy ?

JB Weld (admittedly exceptional in both quality and price) is well-known for it's ability to withstand a constant temperature of 260 C (500 F), but most common-or-garden epoxies are good for 200 C (392 F), which should be more than adequate for your purposes.

LJ

A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping - http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2013, 10:41:35 pm »
I nailed and glued the wedges on my tops before dipping and non came loose.  I used exterior Titebond carpenter's glue.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline mdax

• New Bee
    • North Florida Bee Blog
« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2013, 08:23:03 pm »
If no treatments are done how long will unpainted pine supers last?

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2013, 11:22:57 am »
>If no treatments are done how long will unpainted pine supers last?

It depends on your climate.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2013, 06:18:27 pm »
If no treatments are done how long will unpainted pine supers last?
>If no treatments are done how long will unpainted pine supers last?

It depends on your climate.

Fungus causes wood rot. Fungus spores multiply best in warm moist climates.
Later,
Ray

Offline hiram.ga.bee.man

• New Bee
« Reply #51 on: August 01, 2013, 05:45:27 pm »
You might as well get used to it. Or hire a neighbor kid.
You ever notice that prices are inflating, but wages are deflating?