Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: MOVING BEES IN WINTER  (Read 2309 times)

Offline CTbeeman

• New Bee
MOVING BEES IN WINTER
« on: November 26, 2008, 05:24:24 pm »
I have to move in January and was wondering if it will be safe to move the bees to their new yard. :? I don't really have a choice and have to move them.
2 hives with 1 deep and 1 medium full of stores. The nuc isn't as heavy(no problem with that). I plan on strapping them each so the hives cannot pop apart during transport. 
All have screened bottoms. I have a pickup with a closed cap, so cold wind should not be a problem. And yes I will be closing the entrances.
If it isn't broken, don't try to fix it.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: MOVING BEES IN WINTER
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 05:38:46 pm »
you can strap them and/or use staples to hold them together.  you can buy hive staples, but the bigger electrical staples work also.  close the hive up before hammering :-).  to close fronts, i use an entrance reducer held in place with duct tape.  it's easy and keeps bees from sticking to the tape. 

since you have to move them, it doesn't matter whether it's safe or not :-).  i don't see any problem with it.  they will be fine when the weather warms up and they start flying.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 06:56:41 pm »
Winter is the perfect time to move hives, especially short distances. You don't have to worry about foragers returning to the old location since they will reorientate when spring comes.   I prefer ratchet straps to hive staples for moving hives.  Staples not only damage the hive bodies, but they don't put any tension on pulling the boxes together, and unless you use a bunch of them,  the hive will be loose.   One ratchet strap is much easier and more secure.

rob...
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline rast

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 07:22:51 pm »
 Make the trip as gentle as possible to keep the cluster together if really cold.
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Offline CTbeeman

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 07:25:43 pm »
Thanks for the replys all, I needed some reassurance. I was hoping it wouldn't be a problem.
If it isn't broken, don't try to fix it.

Offline PerryBee

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 07:34:16 pm »
I was wondering the same thing ( sort of ). I have one hive about fifty feet away from the others and I would like to move it closer so it will get more sun. My fear was that on a warmer day if they took cleansing flights would they reorient themselves or return to the old location?