Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Into the light  (Read 2112 times)

Offline Zamboy13

• New Bee
Into the light
« on: March 23, 2011, 01:25:23 am »
My bees are located very near our house. At night I see a few of my worker bees flying around the fluorescent lights in our living room. They seem to be attracted to the light. If I switch off the lights they fly away but as soon as the light gets turned on, they come back. Sometimes they find another source of light like the television or kitchen lights.  I don't really know how they get inside the house because all the windows are closed at night. Somehow they are able to find an entrance like a hole or something and feast their eyes on the fluorescent lights buzzing around it. Is this normal behavior of bees? 

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: Into the light
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 02:27:18 am »
My bees are located very near our house. At night I see a few of my worker bees flying around the fluorescent lights in our living room. They seem to be attracted to the light. If I switch off the lights they fly away but as soon as the light gets turned on, they come back. Sometimes they find another source of light like the television or kitchen lights.  I don't really know how they get inside the house because all the windows are closed at night. Somehow they are able to find an entrance like a hole or something and feast their eyes on the fluorescent lights buzzing around it. Is this normal behavior of bees? 

And Moths, and most insects that fly at night or even daytime bees that are nearby lights and get awakened by them.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Zamboy13

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 02:51:15 am »
I see. Thanks.

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 04:08:08 am »
Moths seems more attracted to lights with UV (Mercury Vapor), why is that?  UV is something that is normally only present during the day.  What about bees?  Are they more UV sensitive?

I have a hive set up next to a plant propagator.  I have some lights inside the propagator set on a timer to produce an extended photoperiod to trick the cuttings into breaking bud.  This is within 4 feet of the hive.  The bees can see the light and SOME come out and fly around.  Not many though.  If you’ve got a lot of bees flying at night, you have a problem because those bees will never make it back to the hive alive.   

As Brian says, bees are attracted to light.  I would also be cautious walking around the hive with a flash light at night.  They will fly toward the light.

Offline Zamboy13

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 05:52:28 am »
You're probably right. I don't think the bees who fly inside our living room can find their way out and back into the hive but it won't be a big problem. Usually, less than 5 bees are attracted to the light.