Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Soon to be a beekeeper - Maryland  (Read 2047 times)

Offline Opal

• New Bee
Soon to be a beekeeper - Maryland
« on: April 06, 2013, 04:33:00 pm »
Hello everyone,

I've always been fascinated with bees (and other insects) since I was a child and that interest carried on into adulthood. I discovered this forum about three or four years ago and although I wanted to get bees then, I held off since I didn't have the time.

The past few years, I haven't seen as many bees in our garden, which has made me sad since I enjoy watching them and now I'm hoping I see a bit more, since I finally ordered my bees! I ordered them by mail, not my first choice but the local beekeeper where I was planning on ordering them had their bee pick up set for this weekend and that was too early for me. My bees should arrive at the beginning of May. I'm really excited about receiving them and am looking forward to learning from other beekeepers in my area and here on the forum too.

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
Re: Soon to be a beekeeper - Maryland
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 06:05:15 pm »
Welcome to the forum Opal, glad to have you with us.  :bee:

Offline Opal

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 06:10:37 pm »
Thanks, I've been on the forums before a few years ago but I don't remember my user name. But this year will be my first year to have my own bees although I've known a few local beekeepers in my area. I'm looking forward to finally having my own. :)

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 02:22:04 pm »
Welcome to the forum, Opal.  Those other beek in your area can also be a big help.  You may ask them about a local bee club too.  Good luck

Joe

Offline Opal

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 05:03:14 pm »
Welcome to the forum, Opal.  Those other beek in your area can also be a big help.  You may ask them about a local bee club too.  Good luck

Thanks Joe, I'm finding that out. This morning, I joined Central Maryland Beekeepers Association and have already exchanged a few emails with the president, Roger Williams. He's been extremely helpful and pointed me to a few upcoming classes, one is in Pennsylvania, about an hour away so I'll be attending that class. Additionally, I've already been paired with a mentor through CMBA, and they've already responded to my email and are willing to server as my bee mentor so I'm excited about that. 

I'm grateful for their willingness to help with the questions I have. Currently, the biggest decision is trying to determine what hive I should purchase. There are so many choices...

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 07:15:28 pm »
Ask any questions you have and you can search for a lot of info already discussed here on this site.   Welcome to the forum.

Offline Georgia Boy

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 08:55:19 pm »
Welcome.  I like you am hoping having bees will help in the garden.  We'll see and let you know.

Good luck

David
"Give it All You've Got"
"Never give up. Never surrender."

Offline Sunnyboy2

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013, 10:49:10 pm »
Welcome. Best of luck and enjoyment to you and your girls.

anything