Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Outside temps when checking hives?  (Read 1861 times)

Offline homer

• House Bee
Outside temps when checking hives?
« on: February 01, 2009, 01:00:17 pm »
I have one overwintering hive and I want to open it up sometime and check on the honey stores that are left.  It is supposed to get up to about 40 degrees here on Tuesday...Is that warm enough to check or do I need to wait for warmer weather?   I seriously doubt that any brood rearing will be going on as we still have lots of winter left.  I just don't know how long it will be till we get another day that is anywhere close to 40 degrees.

Thanks

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Outside temps when checking hives?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 01:03:12 pm »
i don't usually open mine until it's + 40.  under 50 or so, it's just to pop the top and check sugar on inner cover.  if they are not flying, i don't open it for a check.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline DaveKow

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 02:55:58 pm »
It is 40 and sunny here today and I snuck a quick peak at both of them.  They both seemed OK.  I assume that they were rearranging.  One has a whole super that they have barely touched.  The other I had to do the sugar on top of frames, because I feared they were out of food.  It seems they haven't touched the sugar, but I couldn't see underneath to see what was going on.

Offline tlynn

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 05:49:52 pm »
I read somewhere or maybe it was on a test that the min temp for doing a full inspection was 60F.  That's a full inspection.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 09:56:01 pm »
You don't have to open a hive to lift it.  You don't have to fully inspect a hive to open it.  If the bees are flying you can easily pop the top and take a look or pry the top box loose and lift it to see if it's got honey in it...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin