Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Honey Harvest Totals 2008  (Read 31126 times)

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
Honey Harvest Totals 2008
« on: July 26, 2008, 11:00:41 pm »
I haven't extracted yet but was wondering how everyone did this year with honey, if you would post total jars or pounds and the number of hives you took honey from so we can see the average per hive, if you have a average figured already then post the average pounds per hive and number of hives, and if you dont know and just know how many jars you got then some of us can help figure for you.
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline 2-Wheeler

• House Bee
    • http://www.beesandblooms.org
Re: Honey Harvest Totals 2008
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 12:13:40 am »
Hive #1: 65 lbs on July 5th.
Hive #1: 30 lbs on July 26th (today) 
Hive #2: 28 lbs on July 26th (today)

Hive #1 is a second year Italian hive installed May 2007.
Hive #2 is a first-year Minnesota Hygienic hive installed April 2008.

I'll update again after our last harvest.
-David Broberg   CWOP#: CW5670 / CoCoRaHS #CO-BO-218
Blog: http://beesandblooms.blogspot.com/
My Weather: http://www.leyner.org/
My Flickr Album: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dbroberg/

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 12:40:41 am »
2 hives and no honey this year.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 01:07:28 pm »
Ted, our bees are still in the honey making process.  As of about a week ago, I saw at least 10 frames throughout the colonies that would be certainly capped by now.  We still have over one month that the bees can harvest their golden gold for human consumption.  Then come September 1, we do not take any more, we leave all for the bees and we begin to feed sugar syrup, just in case, for the winter stores.....nothing taken after September 1.  We can still have a very strong honey flow during September, then around October 5, we no longer feed, the bees will not have time to `cure`any s.s. by that point in time.  Did I go off topic, sorry if I have.  Beautiful, wonderful day, those golden days of summer.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline deerhunter

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008, 03:57:26 pm »
I have 4 hives that where big enough this year and I have over 400 pounds from them.

Next year if they all make  it through the winter I will have 13 hive ready to go.

I just put buck wheat out for them to enjoy since every thing else has bloomed already.

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 01:16:00 am »
#1 hive five gallons - seven deep frames and four medium frames.  Rest left in.
#2 hive - lost two deeps and a medium (all full) to wax moths after a swarm and my messing things up.
             These were checked about two weeks earlier, after swarm happened.
#3 hive - part of one deep of pollen (about 70%) total.  Left honey in (one medium).
#4 - #7 - not harvested at this time.  Waiting until fall to decide and to see if there will be a fall flow. 
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline Pond Creek Farm

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 01:25:26 am »
I'm with Annette.  No honey this year due to building up and losing two hives in June.  I am hoping for some next year.
Brian

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 12:14:08 pm »
Hive #1 -            7 shallows (210 lbs)
Hive #2 -            4 shallows (120 lbs)
Hive #3 -            1 shallow  (  30   lbs)
Hives#4 and #5 - Zero

72 lb average

#1 had a new queen --- seems important ;)! #-3-4-5 should have been requeened bekeeper mistake (they were three years old) by my records if not superceded?

I did not take all supers extracted in late May and will leave ample stores for the bees. @ this point #1 has four more shallows and #2 has two more shallows.

Thought you had dun got lost T!!!  ;)

John 3:16

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 04:56:02 pm »
ZERO! Not a good year in southeastern Colorado. I just checkd today with another guy that has 3 hives and he had not one drop of honey in his supers.

Offline Utah

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 12:46:40 am »
Have 3 hives this year, all new since I lost two over winter.

Hive #1, swarmed very early this year and lost it, ugh, no honey, hasnt even filled two supers yet.
Hive #2, just starting to draw out the medium on top, no honey yet.
Hive #3, have maybe 8 lbs I could harvest, but why bother.

Not a great year for me.

Utah

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 01:04:23 am »
Ain't harvested yet due to a combination of work and laziness.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2008, 05:38:46 pm »

...JP

You done burned yourself out this Spring JP, catching all those swarms.

Offline MrILoveTheAnts

• Field Bee
    • Biodiverse Gardens
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2008, 06:31:17 pm »
Between two harvests of 5 hives. All have 2 deeps on them, 3 have medium supers.

67, 1lb jars.
4, 16 oz mason jars.
3, slightly larger mason jars.
2 Wine Bottles.

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2008, 06:45:27 pm »
 About 44 lbs from one deep super and 5 frames from one honey super.
Got this honey from 2 separate hives.
Waiting for bees to make more as we have a long way to go till it cools off.
I have 9 hives now and am pretty sure a few will have enough honey for a second go round.
your friend,
john

Offline deejaycee

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2008, 07:19:56 pm »
420 kg, or 920 lbs harvested and sold.    Plus 200 kg surplus feed and personal use = 620 kg or 1366 lbs total.

That's off 15 hives -
Three were "mature" hives - one existing in spring plus two strong early swarms that built up well before the flow.   These all produced 40 kg each, or 88 lbs.

The other 12 were mid-spring nucs (six-10 ¾ depth frames at the end of November), some of which built up exceedingly well, and two of which produced as much as the mature hives, the others built at varying but generally good rates, except for one which produced nothing.  So an average of 40 kg for the two strongest nucs, and 22 kg each for the remainder. 

On top of harvested and sold honey was our personal use and surplus winter feed stores of about 200 kg.  (Surplus winter feed stores are stores over and above the two boxes full that we leave each hive with).  The three mature hives and the two strongest young hives produced about 100 kg of that surplus, with the other 10 hives producing the other 100 kg.

Sooo..

Mature hives plus two strongest nucs (5 hives) = 40 kg sold plus 20 kg surplus = 60 kg or 132 lbs each.

Young hives (10) = 22 kg sold plus 10 kg surplus = 32 kg or 70 lbs each.

:) Not bad for a first year.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2008, 09:31:03 pm »

...JP

You done burned yourself out this Spring JP, catching all those swarms.

Nah, combine laziness and heat, not the greatest combination! ;)

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline DennisB

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2008, 09:39:28 am »
110# so far with 11 more medium supers to go from 10 hives. 4 were nucs in the spring and 2 were from splits. A good flow this year. Could really have been better but the rain kept coming about every other day or so. Black locust trees bloomed better than ever this year.

Dennis

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2008, 09:43:38 am »
About 200 lbs. total so far from 3 of my hives.  I didn't take any from the newer hives and my Carnolians didn't produce a whole lot until late since they started out the year as a weaker hive.  Fall goldenrod will be my biggest of the year.  I expect full supers in each hive, probably totaling 400-500 lbs.  We'll see if that happens.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline jdesq

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2008, 10:23:42 am »
Extracted from 3 mediums last night. 2 from 1 hive one from another and ended up with 110lbs of honey. Looks like I'll get another chance to harvest about the same in Sept.

Offline HEATHERNAY

• New Bee
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2008, 08:27:30 pm »
420 kg, or 920 lbs harvested and sold.    Plus 200 kg surplus feed and personal use = 620 kg or 1366 lbs total.

That's off 15 hives -
Three were "mature" hives - one existing in spring plus two strong early swarms that built up well before the flow.   These all produced 40 kg each, or 88 lbs.

The other 12 were mid-spring nucs (six-10 ¾ depth frames at the end of November), some of which built up exceedingly well, and two of which produced as much as the mature hives, the others built at varying but generally good rates, except for one which produced nothing.  So an average of 40 kg for the two strongest nucs, and 22 kg each for the remainder. 

On top of harvested and sold honey was our personal use and surplus winter feed stores of about 200 kg.  (Surplus winter feed stores are stores over and above the two boxes full that we leave each hive with).  The three mature hives and the two strongest young hives produced about 100 kg of that surplus, with the other 10 hives producing the other 100 kg.

Sooo..

Mature hives plus two strongest nucs (5 hives) = 40 kg sold plus 20 kg surplus = 60 kg or 132 lbs each.

Young hives (10) = 22 kg sold plus 10 kg surplus = 32 kg or 70 lbs each.

:) Not bad for a first year.
[wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!! im soo excited to get started!!!  but with two hives....  Heather]