Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Caucasian supplier found in TN  (Read 3065 times)

Offline charlotte

• House Bee
Caucasian supplier found in TN
« on: November 03, 2008, 10:04:06 pm »
Hello all!
   Just passing along some contact info for anyone interested in getting some caucasians...

Winter's Apiaries(david & brenda Winter)
PO Box 216
Parrotsville, TN 37843
423-613-4567
3# package with clipped/marked queen (your choice) $80

I had called these people before, with no answer..tried tonight and actually talked to a person.  Small business (sounds like), very nice on the phone.  They are taking orders already for the spring.  If anyone dealt with them or know of them your feedback would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance!! :-D 
Sleep is overrated!

Offline charlotte

• House Bee
Re: Caucasian supplier found in TN
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 12:31:44 pm »
Just found out that Winter's is actually part of Long Creek Apiary.  They have some of former Bolling Bee's stock and also have Russians in a different yard.  From what I have heard they have a good track record, but don't ship as early as others that are farther south. I just ordered one package of caucasians from them for sprin 2009. Just an FYI for anyone interested.  :-D
Sleep is overrated!

Offline hardtime

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 06:10:18 pm »
did u ask about the russians  . i am wanten to buy some 2 id packages of this bees in sping
your frend   hardtime

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 07:26:56 pm »
Charlotte,
Your info is the same as who I mentioned earlier as having a possible lead. I just got off the phone from Tom in Virginia (He is a beemaster member by the name I think as "tom") and he confirmed our earlier conversation and your info. Same people.

Thank you for posting the info.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline BenC

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 09:08:37 pm »
Thanks for posting the info.

Offline charlotte

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 10:13:03 pm »
Hard time-
Yes they sell russian queens and packages.  Member of Russian Honey Bee assoc. and have russians in a different yard.  $80 for 3#, queens are $30.

Good Luck!
Sleep is overrated!

Offline RickeyENC

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 12:15:16 am »
I order 2 packages of russians from them last week. Delivery is for May, they said possibly earlier depending on the spring.

Offline mherndon

• House Bee
  • New Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 09:44:49 pm »
They have advertised in every "Bee Culture" magazine that I have gotten.  I'm interested in queens.
Starting my 3rd year and still having a ball!

Offline thomas

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2008, 07:11:21 pm »
They are great people to talk too but i found that thier caucasians that i got were not good for nothing but making splits. I had them for two years and they never made any honey except to make it thru the winter i raised some queens from them and they turned out to be worthless. They did not have any mites so thats a plus but t get packages that late you can catch swarms instead.

thomas

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2008, 07:16:26 pm »
They are great people to talk too but i found that thier caucasians that i got were not good for nothing but making splits. I had them for two years and they never made any honey except to make it thru the winter i raised some queens from them and they turned out to be worthless. They did not have any mites so thats a plus but t get packages that late you can catch swarms instead.

thomas

Are you the thomas that was suppose to be home last night at 8pm, and was not at 8:00, 8:15, or 8:30  :-D
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2008, 12:50:38 am »

thomas

Sounds like the proclevities of the Caucasian bees hasn't change in the last 40 years.  They always seemed to make just slightly more than they needed to overwinter.  With a little manipulation I was able to get the Caucasians to produce one flat of comb honey per year as harvestable honey.  But by the time I got out of the Army in 71 and back into bees in 72 they proved hard to come by and due to my experience I didn't go looking for any.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

anything