Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Thought I'd share a few fish pics...  (Read 6783 times)

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
Thought I'd share a few fish pics...
« on: June 24, 2008, 09:18:31 pm »
Here's a few pics of my fishtanks...

Here's the guppy tank... those rock formations in the background are totally home-made...

Here's another picture of it, terrible tank pic, but you can see the guppies.

Here's Nemo in my saltwater tank:

Here's the rest of the saltwater tank... it looks kinda empty because I've got some wild crabs in there that will eat anything other than my damsel and my clownfish.

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
Re: Thought I'd share a few fish pics...
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 12:15:10 am »
I'll post some of my tanks soon. I just have to collect them from all over my computer...I lost all my pics recently but have found some pics in other places and have taken more since then.
 Been raising tropicals for about 40 years now, with a few breaks here and there. Always freshwater, never studied salt water much. I only have 4 tanks going now but at one time I had 44. I have/had a "Green Thumb" when it came to tropical fish since the day my first pair of guppies died..After that, I was consumed with how to keep a fish alive!

your friend,
john

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 11:12:57 am »
I have bred african cichlids before. Fronotosas and peacocks. Love peacoks cichlids from Lake Tanganika and Malawi. Tank is down now after a power failure while i was away on vacation  and crashed tank as a result. Need to set it back up, but no time. i guess i'll wait until fall.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 04:40:50 pm »
SgrMaj.  Nice pictures, and how cool that the stuff is homemade in the fish tanks.  Thanks for sharing with us.  Beautiful day in our great lives.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 05:03:16 pm »
Had a couple of big tanks with cichlids, oscars, Jack Dempseys, Aurutus, my favorite was a Royal knife that got about a foot long, could feed him by hand, always liked the electric blues too.

Don't ever put a pacu in your tank, they get too big and terrorize everything have to death, I let mine go in a pond, he was too evil.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 01:00:07 pm »
Had a couple of big tanks with cichlids, oscars, Jack Dempseys, Aurutus, my favorite was a Royal knife that got about a foot long, could feed him by hand, always liked the electric blues too.

Don't ever put a pacu in your tank, they get too big and terrorize everything have to death, I let mine go in a pond, he was too evil.

...JP

JP NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Louisiana is over run with invasive species even if he was your best friend you should have deep fried him  :evil:not release him to the wild

Keith :)

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 08:13:34 pm »
 I had a pacu years ago that i fed monkey biscuits!
 I have 4 tanks going right now, Africans, angels, community fishes,..I think my favorite guys are my "Gold Dojos", They're a type of weather loach but they are kinda hard to find. Then I like my Daffodil Brichardis, in the Neo lamprologus family..They're a really pretty African, also known as a "Fairy Cichlid" I have to keep these apart as they will pair up and breed like bunnies. They demand a high price at the fish stores but you definitely wont get that price when selling them!.Once paired off these fish are as mean as they are beautiful!

your friend,
john

Offline MrILoveTheAnts

• Field Bee
    • Biodiverse Gardens
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 08:37:48 pm »
*Taps on Computer Screen* Hi Fishy Fishy!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 12:21:00 am »

...JP

JP NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Louisiana is over run with invasive species even if he was your best friend you should have deep fried him  :evil:not release him to the wild

I let him go in a landlocked pond, where he could only terrorize those fish and mate with noone, perhaps sad, but he probably wound up eating all the fish and then worked on whatever else was left, maybe even the aligators.

Speaking of invasive, Talapia.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2008, 09:23:00 am »

...JP

I let him go in a landlocked pond, where he could only terrorize those fish and mate with noone, perhaps sad, but he probably wound up eating all the fish and then worked on whatever else was left, maybe even the aligators.

...JP

Speaking of deep frying Talapia don't get much better than that

Keith

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2008, 09:31:31 am »

...JP

...JP

Speaking of deep frying Talapia don't get much better than that

Keith

I never had Tilapia fried and I think its an ok fish but I'll take fried croaker over just about anything, chicken dolphin fried are pretty dang good too.

...JP

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2008, 06:29:27 am »
Croaker is really that good?  My wife and I always threw them back, or used them as bait when our bait ran out... might have to try frying one up next time we visit the ocean.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2008, 12:44:30 am »
Croaker is really that good?  My wife and I always threw them back, or used them as bait when our bait ran out... might have to try frying one up next time we visit the ocean.

I think throwing a good eating size croaker back is a felony in most states, the meat has a certain sweet taste to it and fried croaker with fries are hard to beat, hey, pass me the ketchup will you?

...JP ;)

Offline mick

• Queen Bee
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2008, 04:59:45 am »
First you killed Les Darcy, then poisoned Phar Lap, now youve kidnapped Nemo! Bloody Yanks!

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2008, 10:26:11 am »
Nemo had it coming, the little #@$$#!@!!!
Rick

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2008, 03:34:16 pm »

I think throwing a good eating size croaker back is a felony in most states, the meat has a certain sweet taste to it and fried croaker with fries are hard to beat, hey, pass me the ketchup will you?

...JP ;)

Is this related to sea trout and sometimes called "hardheads?" If so, we get them by the bucket loads the last few years. Weakfish(seatrout) are seriously depleted here these days.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2008, 03:57:16 pm »

...JP ;)

Is this related to sea trout and sometimes called "hardheads?" If so, we get them by the bucket loads the last few years. Weakfish(seatrout) are seriously depleted here these days.

Seth, hardheads are actually hard head catfish, they have a lot of dark meat and most of the fish is ribcage, they are truly a fish you want to throw back or use for bait.

Weakfish and spotted sea trout, which we call speckled trout are related. Hey my buddy gave me two he caught last night!

...JP

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2008, 09:09:59 pm »
 yep...I know about "Hardheads"..To me they looked like channel cats pretty much...The old people kept warning me about the way i was handling them...I would turn to my buddy, James, and grin, Saying" Yeh sure,..Like I havent been stung by a catfish before"....
 Holy COW!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: One of them suckers finally got me after I had caught and thrown back about 50 of them!!..WHOOOOWEEEE!!!!. It burned from the palm of my hand, all the way up to near my chest and under my right arm!! And it all swelled up!!.He stuck me GOOD!!..He was even hanging off my hand when I tried to drop him!!..I had to yank him out!!
 I took a break after that..I couldnt hold my rod any more!

your friend,
john

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2008, 10:47:26 pm »
yep...I know about "Hardheads"..To me they looked like channel cats pretty much...The old people kept warning me about the way i was handling them...I would turn to my buddy, James, and grin, Saying" Yeh sure,..Like I havent been stung by a catfish before"....
 Holy COW!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: One of them suckers finally got me after I had caught and thrown back about 50 of them!!..WHOOOOWEEEE!!!!. It burned from the palm of my hand, all the way up to near my chest and under my right arm!! And it all swelled up!!.He stuck me GOOD!!..He was even hanging off my hand when I tried to drop him!!..I had to yank him out!!
 I took a break after that..I couldnt hold my rod any more!

your friend,
john

Getting stuck by hardhead's pectoral or dorsal fins have ruined many a fishing trip, some people get very sick and some require several stitches to fix the wound, even stepping on a dead one can cause serious problems.

...JP