Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: what can i do to speed things up on the net? i click on something and wait and w  (Read 4700 times)

Offline adamant

• House Bee
my connection is 11.0 Mbps if that helps.. this computer is not old at all but its so slow i don't even feel like logging on! i click on something and i can fear the computer grinding away.. very discouraging!

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
reboot
Remove any extra toolbars from the browsers that you don't need.
Things like Ask toolbar,yahoo toolbar,AIM toolbar etc. consume resources and waste bandwidth monitoring what you click on.
Reboot your modem and router.
Find a registry cleaner. But be careful.
Do you have good antivirus software.
MS security essentials is free and helps,but there are stronger things available.

try using firefox for a web browser with adbloc plus adon.

Offline adamant

• House Bee
thank you.. it seemed to help..

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
a good, free, and relatively safe cleaner is ccleaner.  you can use it to clean out your history, cookies, etc. and it has a registry cleaner that allows you to back up before deletion. 

in addition to those things that buzzbee mentioned, addons will also sometimes slow down your computer.  spell checkers, lots of those microsoft market addons, apps etc. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline adamant

• House Bee
Tell me more about those ms add ons? When I was in add and delete programe there was a hole list on ms down loads that seemed like junk add ons. But I did not want to deleate stuff I did not know.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
i'm talking about weather widgets, desktop clocks, and stuff like that.  they are kind of fun, but can slow down your computer....although they shouldn't slow down access to web sites unless they are internet connected.    that would be stuff like what buzzbee mentioned, blog spell checkers,  online dictionaries add-ons, weather widgets that upload constantly...anything like that. 

Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline bwdenen

• House Bee
+1 to everything mentioned.  You might try this...download a program called Malwarebytes, it's free, and Free Registry Repair from regsofts.com, it's free as well.  Install and run the Malwarebytes first, the follow it with the free registry repair.  The first time you run Malwarebytes, run the full scan, the quick scan will suffice from there on out.  Be prepared, it takes quite a while the first time and you shouldn't do anything on the computer while it's running.  Then run the registry repair, fix all the listed problems.  Run it 2-3 times to get as much as possible.  One note, there are some windows processes that create registry links and then abandons them when the process completes, so you can never get to zero in the problem list.  40-60 is a decent place to stop. Also, as of yet, I have never had a crash caused from "fixing" a listed problem, but it gives you the option to create a restore point before fixing problems.

There are other programs out there that do a decent job as well.  I've used these two for about 3 years and have had really good results.  The two programs are legit.  You can purchase Malewarebytes to get realtime protection, the free version has to be run manually.  Free Registry Repair is outright freeware.

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
Also if you have two different anti-virus programs that are running at the same time, each one seems like it has to constantly check the other one. I do know McAfee is SLOOOOW moving (at least for us).
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline carlfaba10t

• House Bee
If you want a really good anti virus try trend micro titanium. I have used that one for two years now and it is the greatest i have used.Also for your reg. cleaner the same co. has [ hijack this] also by trend micro.If you have never tried Google Chrome for a browser download and try them,very fast and clean.I use Firefox and also Google Chrome depending on what App. i intend to run.Last but not least use the defrag option for defragmenting your harddrive.This will make a big diff. on how fast things load.And do run the antimalware as mentioned. ;)
Carl-I have done so much with so little for so long i can now do something with nothing!

anything