Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello from the eastern Shore of Maryland.  (Read 2700 times)

Offline Cossack

• House Bee
Hello from the eastern Shore of Maryland.
« on: September 09, 2008, 10:41:09 am »
Hello everyone,

My Ukrainian Grandfather regretfully passed away in April of 2008. He was a retired farmer and as long as I can remember he had raised honey bees. He had 9 Bee hives. After his passing no one in the family wanted or showed an interest in taking care of the bees. It was suggested that I should raise and care for them. I took an interest in them and began to read several books on Bees. My Uncle began to teach me with "hands on experience." I had caught 4 swarms in the spring and now have 13 hives. I have extracted and filtered approximately 20 gallons of Honey this Summer. I have given away alot of the bottled honey to friends and neighbors in an attempt to get a market. I have learned alot from my Uncle and the books I have read but I know that I am still a novice/begginer and have a long way to go.
     I am excited to have found this site and am sure I will still have many questions that I know will be answered here.
I had a dream last night, I was eating a 10 pound marshmallow. I woke up this morning and the pillow was gone.....

Offline EasternShore

• House Bee
  • Tending 50K angry insects is just .........crazy!
    • OMG Apiary
Re: Hello from the eastern Shore of Maryland.
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 11:09:20 am »
WELCOME!!!!!! BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Hi from over in Chestertown, Let me know if you need anything...I had a slower start than you with only 3 hives, but my mentor is the Pres of Deleware Bee Assoc. and has been a world of info for me.

If you ever get over this way call me and we can get together! I'm right off 301.

703-403-0745
Mark

Menya Zavut Mark!  Ochen Priyatno! (Written by my better half who speaks Russian.)
Anything worth doing is worth doing well.
We are the keepers, it is our duty to preserve life.

Offline Frantz

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 02:03:22 pm »
Welcome, welcome,
You will find lots of good info here.
Where in MD are you. I have spend many a summer in Churchton. My grandma has a house there. I haven't been there in a while though. I would love to get back and sit on the dock with my old bay and my big old napkin all day. I just love fresh crab. There is nothing better.
Anyway, sounds like you are well on your way. 13 hives Wow :shock: that is a good start for a first year. I have no where near that but sounds like you did not get much of a harvest our there this year. Must have been a rough year. Better luck next year for you guys.
Look forward to hearing more from you.
F
PS I have been studing Russian and Armenian this last year. I spend a good part of 2007 in Moscow, and St Petersburg. Planning on spending time in Ukrain next time.
Don't be yourself, "Be the man you would want your daughters to marry!!"

Offline Cossack

• House Bee
Re: Hello from the Eastern Shore of Maryland.
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 05:01:33 pm »
Thank You,

"Eastern Shore and Frantz" I live outside of Ocean City in Berlin, Worcester County. My Great Grandfather used to have 200 hives on his Farm. My Uncle told me that it looked like a cemetary. My Grandfather took over from him and scaled back to 40-50 hives. He raised bees for over 20 years. As he aged and retired from farming he scaled down to his 9 hives.

Frantz- As for the 20 gallons of honey. It was a dry year here. I still have Supers on the hives and they are full, I was planning on leaving them on for the bees to party this winter. During the Summer I added a second brood box to all 13 hives in order to increase their numbers. I was also hoping to move some to the local farmers for propagation next Spring.

I love Fresh Crabs as well. My family and I had a bushell of crabs last weekend. They were great.
Both my parents are from the Ukraine. I don't write in Ukrainian to well not Since Ukrainian School in Baltimore as a child, But I can get by. I would love to visit the Ukraine but that will have to wait unitl I retire or after my 2 kids get through College. They are 7 and 11 so I have some time.

"Mene zvut Michael....      Prijemno poznajomitisja    Eastern Shore eh Frantz."
I had a dream last night, I was eating a 10 pound marshmallow. I woke up this morning and the pillow was gone.....

Offline mtman1849

• Assistant Social Director
  • House Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 06:07:44 pm »
Welcome to the forum, this is the best place I have found to find answers to questions, and the people here are really great.

Offline Frantz

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 11:43:58 pm »
OHHHH! Ocean City, now that is just down right harsh... Not only do you mention that you had a bushel of crabs last week, but you live just outside Ocean City!!!! That is just cruel... In all seriousness that is great. Do they still have the boardwalk? Someone was telling me that they were taking it out last time I was there. My kids are 14, 10, & 5 this year. How is it that we are going to pay for college anyway. If you figure that one out let me know will ya. Anyway, as I said before welcome, sounds like you are well on your way to quite a full time hobby with that many hives. Look forward to learning with you.
Can't wait to ask you a few more questions about everything.
F

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2008, 12:08:56 am »
hello and welcome Cossack!!
there is alot of good member here and they are willing to help you.
If you have any question feel free to ask them
Johnny

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2008, 11:39:06 am »
Cossack, welcome to our forum.  Sorry to hear that your Grandfather passed, but look what you have gleaned from that.  You are now a full fledged beekeeper, with a fair number of colonies for someone starting out.  What a lucky day to have your Uncle by your side to give you hands on training, you are a lucky fellow.  This will be a place where you can spend lots of quality time, tell us your stories, read our stories, learn, we have mountains of information here that you can have right before your very own eyes.  We love to have new members and welcome with open arms.  Have the most wonderful and awesome day, love and live life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline EasternShore

• House Bee
  • Tending 50K angry insects is just .........crazy!
    • OMG Apiary
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2008, 09:20:15 am »
Franz...They will NEVER EVER EVER take the Boardwalk out....WAY too much income from it...I spent most of my childhood days there ( Summers). 
Cosaack...let me know if you ever need any help, I'd LOVE to have an excuse to drive your way...
Mark
Anything worth doing is worth doing well.
We are the keepers, it is our duty to preserve life.

Offline Frantz

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2008, 11:14:57 am »
Thank the lord. I am glad to hear that. I couldn't imagine that they were going to tear it out. But being in development, I have seen things like that happen. I can't tell you guys how much this thread has me thinking of the Chesapeake area. Oh man, am I homesick.....
Don't get me wrong, I love it here. I have lived in Park City for the last 12 years and I am now in a wonderful area of SLC on the east bench. But Oh, to smell the bay again......
Ok, thats enough. Good day all
F

anything