Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: More drones than ever  (Read 1504 times)

Offline Larry Bees

• Field Bee
More drones than ever
« on: October 05, 2012, 06:00:38 pm »
I read where most beeks are saying that their hives have rid themselves of their drones. We checked our hives this morning and we have more drones now than we did all summer long. Plenty of drone brood too.

We have the best flow on right now with the Brazilian Pepper and I think the stronger hives are planning on swarming. We keep making splits and have prevented loosing any swarms so far.

Last year was awful here and I almost lost all of my hives, but this year is great! Thank God for a rainy year here.

Larry

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
Re: More drones than ever
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 07:28:31 pm »
Larry, I think where the drones are being pushed out is probably up north or where the fall flow is about over.  good luck with your bees.

Joe

Offline Mbeck

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 10:50:06 pm »
The news about the flow is great!

Offline Bees In Miami

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 09:08:41 pm »
Larry:  Glad to hear it's going well in Mims, too!  This is my first year keeping bees, and thanks to a feral hive under my work shop, I am up to 4 hives already.  Caught two swarms in the spring, which are thriving and filling supers, and strangely enough, two more swarms last weekend.  I wasn't expecting swarms this time of year, but glad to add a couple Nucs!   I have learned a ton this season!  Still piles and piles to learn, but this forum has been great!  I have truly enjoyed educating our neighbors, who, while leary at first, are now thanking me for having the bees...their fruit crops have been beyond anything they have seen in years past.   Now I have learned how 'addictive' this whole bee thing is!  Hope all continues going well for you, and your girls.  (well, and at this point, boys, too...lol)

anything