Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: wasp thing  (Read 6040 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: wasp thing
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2008, 12:31:28 am »
Kathy, go back and look at the picture that I posted alongside yours.  Look at the size of the yellowjacket beside the bee.  That is the actual size of these yellowjackets that hang around my apiary and locale.  It was hard to judge by your picture how much bigger the yellowjacket might have been than the picture that I posted.  But.....if that yellowjacket, try to remember, was larger than the one that I showed, you can bet your very bottom dollar that it was the queen.....eeeekss!!!!  And yes, she would gone and found a warm little place to hibernate until it is time for her to actually and really come out and lay her eggs.

It is highly and I mean very highly likely that that yellowjacket was anything but the queen.  All the workers in the colonies of the yellowjackets die before winter.  They do not live.  But, long live the queen.  She is immortal (hee, hee, pun intended).  She goes through the winter, impregnated, hiding and keeping warm.  Then when spring comes, she finds a place, raises her small little batch of brood herself and then when they hatch and begin to forage for food to feed more of the larvae, old holy blazes breaks out, and then we have the hundreds of nasty little critters that we all hate.  Actually, they are pretty amazing, too bad they are so disliked.  (what, did I say that?  :( ;))

One time that darn yellowjacket flew into my ear.  I should have been more careful about ensuring that they were not nesting on my bedroom patio.  I saw it flying and tried to avoid it.  Well this darn sucker went into the outer part of my ear and stung me three times.  I was almost crying.  I didn't realize that the pain was so extreme from these creeps.  The pain lasted for hours and hours.  This was about 7:00 PM that I got stung, 11:00 PM I was still in some pretty bad pain but managed to go to sleep.  It was still sore the following morning, not excruciating like the night before, but still very sore.  I do not like the yellowjacket, nor the hornet, nor the wasp.  They are my enemy.  Have an awesome day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Kimbrell

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2008, 12:41:32 am »
Hi Cindi,
You sound as if you have as much trouble with yellow jackets as I do.  Is the soil rocky in your area?  The soil here is extremely rocky.  It seems like every time I find a yellow jacket nest, they have gotten under a large rock buried in the soil.  It's kind of hard to kill them all when they're wedged under there.  I end up digging up the rock to make sure I have killed the whole nest.  Somebody is always getting stung when we cut our hay.  It's a never ending job.  Not my favorite creatures!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2008, 12:44:51 am »
Kimbrell.  No, we don't live in a rocky place, it is quite fertile land with lots of trees and underbrush.  The yellowjackets love to nest in the eaves of the house, barn, any enclosed place they can find, and yes, they are a darn nuisance.  Sounds like you have a dilly of a time with them, that is too bad for sure.  Have an awesome and wonderful day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Kimbrell

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2008, 01:03:39 am »
Funny how the same species will do different things in different locations.  All the yellow jacket nests I have ever seen here are in the ground.  The only things we get in the house eaves are wasps and hornets!

anything