Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: COMB HONEY FRAMES  (Read 1263 times)

Offline Stung

• New Bee
COMB HONEY FRAMES
« on: March 04, 2015, 10:30:18 am »
I want to start making comb honey this year.  Last year I tried the Hogg system, and it work ok.  This year I want to do frame comb.  Can I put just a empty frame in, or do I have to use something to start them building.  I was told, that I should put them every other frame with normal honey frames.  I don't want to put any more money into it, then I have to.

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
Re: COMB HONEY FRAMES
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 10:58:46 am »
for less maintenance ues foundation every other frame
want to go in every few days foundationless frames work. strighten the combs today and crosscomb again tomarrow

Offline Colobee

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 11:48:23 am »
There are a number of tricks, and several good books dedicated to making comb honey. A few old timer Beeks suggest that new beeks start with comb honey only so they can avoid the time, expense and effort of extracting for the first year or two.

I tried Ross rounds in my early days, with limited success. 'Lot's of less than perfect ones. Then I tried shallow frames with comb  foundation, which worked somewhat better. I just threw a whole box on a strong hive during the start of the main flow. That seemed to be about 80% successful. ('never tried alternating/staggering).

The bees usually fix my mistakes

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 04:33:02 pm »

if you have supers with drawn comb, just drop an empty frame in between the drawn frames. Preferably with some type of starter strip. it does not need to be BIG, just an edge for them to use as a starter/guide. With the empty frame between two drawn frames you normally get perfectly drawn comb. Once in a while, the bees decide to expand the honey comb on either side and make it wider. Catch it before it gets too far and shave it back where it belongs.
   i use quite a lot of foundation/less and a lot depends on YOUR bees.  I have given bees i knew to be good, completely new supers with foundation/less frames, and they drew every one of those frames perfectly, but that is NOT the norm. In such a situation, it is more likely that they will start in the middle and draw comb across those frames from one corner of the hive to the other.
  My best advice, is to buy thin surplus foundation for medium frames (5 5/8) then cut it in half length wise. Use wedge style top bars and put the starter wax in place and nail the wedge in to hold it.  This is usually enough to insure you get well drawn frames that are still completely edible.
   I have tried cutting the 5 5/8 foundation into four strips to start with, and it worked better than no starter strip, but I had hives STILL try to cross comb it. With the strips hanging down 2 3/4 inches they seem to start and fill the frames much better and straighter.
39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.