Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Drawing frame production  (Read 2262 times)

Offline allincuddy

• New Bee
Drawing frame production
« on: March 27, 2014, 06:40:11 pm »
Hi,
I am curious how keeper out there are producing drawn frames, other than putting a frame of foundation just outside the brood nest.
Does anyone have a comb drawing production going on that they would like to share?
I use all one sized frames (deeps) for all my brood and honey supers.
Would love to hear different ideas and how things work for different keepers.
Thanks,
Mark

Offline Wolfer

• House Bee
Re: Drawing frame production
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 07:35:40 pm »
I only get lots of comb drawn during the spring flow. During the summer I have some maintenance flows but not heavy enough to draw comb.

I can get a little drawn at other times of the year by dropping a frame in the broodnest but not very much.

Lauri Miller posted a thread on bee source some time back on how she can get lots of comb drawn in the off season. I can't link it but if you do a search and go thru her posts you can find it.

It operates on the swarm principal. If Lauri says it will work I'd be willing to take it to the bank.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 07:37:51 pm »
Drawn frames are still done by the bees as for as I know. Some use different kinds of foundation, and others use no foundation or a combination of the two.  I still use 2 ten frame deeps for the brood chamber.  I use medium and shallow supers, mainly because of the weight.  I have a TBH also that I built frames instead of just the bars.  Several beeks use eight frame mediums for everything.  In my area there are several that are commercial or more than hobbiest, they use all 10 frame deeps for everything.
I get some drawn by putting new frames in the supers, medium or shallows.   I have a few boxes of deeps drawn already, when brood chamber needs some new comb, I will checkerboard with new frames.
Mark, it would bee good if you put your location.  Good luck to you and your bees.

Joe

Offline Bush_84

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 07:45:37 pm »
I understand that nucs are comb drawing machines.  I'm just going to get going with my nucs but I've heard that said more than once. 
Keeping bees since 2011.

Also please excuse the typos.  My iPad autocorrect can be brutal.

Offline Wolfer

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 08:21:29 pm »
Ive found that any hive that's in build up mode is a comb building machine. But they have to have resources.

Offline allincuddy

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 09:26:28 pm »
Thanks for the replies!!
I always seem short on drawn frames and at $4.20 CDN I am not about to buy quick.
Finding the hardest thing about major increases is drawn frame or the absence of.
Last year I drew frames by putting a deep super 10 frame (all I use) over the brood boxes but under the honey supers, with alternating foundation then drawn frames for making the right space.
It worked well but thought there maybe something out there I need to look at.
Thanks and I will look up Lauri's posts.
Mark

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 10:32:56 pm »
From what I've seen,  swarms draw out comb like crazy. Feed them, let them build, remove the frames, put in more frames with foundation, let them rob them out. That's what I'm trying.
Later,
Ray

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2014, 11:08:54 pm »
a crowded nuc works fast during the flow.  just stay on top of it or you'll have a swarm.

Offline Wolfer

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2014, 11:09:56 pm »
After rereading Lauri's method she does it near the end of the flow.

The thread is titled. I'm exhausted, sticky and dirty.    Post #15

I have it saved. If you can't find it PM me and I can email it to you.

Offline allincuddy

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2014, 12:37:23 am »
Wolfer, that was a great post as I have many monster cell finishers that I break upas the flow is ending.
Thanks much,
Mark :)

anything