Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Knats?  (Read 1892 times)

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Knats?
« on: September 16, 2013, 10:14:49 pm »
My beehive provides a white background so I can usually see small stuff fairly well. I have been noticing some very small insects that looks like a knat. These are elongated instead of round. They aren't varroa but they are pretty small. They seem to fly up and land on the landing board. From what I can see they just hang around the entrance but don't go in nor try to get on the bees.  Any clues?
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline gdog

• House Bee
Re: Knats?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 10:39:54 pm »
I got the same small fly in one of my hives a weak one the moths took over and these small flies are crawling through the empty comb don't like them at all

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 10:32:32 am »
Any foreign insects in a hive in any numbers makes me nervous.  Around the hive is one thing, but in the hive proper they worry me.... it's usually an indication that the hive is weak.  But just on the landing board I would investigate inside before I jump to conclusions.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 02:14:05 am »
What on earth is a Knat?   :?

We got Gnats up here, are they related  :-D

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 04:20:58 am »
What on earth is a Knat?   :?

We got Gnats up here, are they related  :-D

Knats are MALE Gnats ! I can't believe you did not noooooooo that up there  ;) :-D
John 3:16

Offline trapperbob

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 12:00:02 am »
Look inside if everything is good then no biggie. I find my hives at one yard seem to be staging areas for ticks. I've seen as many as ten on the outside edge of the tops and I really hate ticks lol