Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Wet hives  (Read 1541 times)

Offline Musketeer21

• New Bee
Wet hives
« on: July 09, 2013, 06:37:18 pm »
Hey everyone, need some advice here. I was inspecting two of my newer hives today and out of nowhere it starts pouring rain. I was able to get the frames back in and the covers on pretty quickly but one of my hives got soaked. All the frames have some water in some of the comb. Ive never had this happen before. Is there anything I should do to help them dry it out or should I just let the bees handle things and see how it turns out? I did a search and couldn't find anyone with a similar question so any advice would be appreciated .

Offline Dash12721

• New Bee
Re: Wet hives
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 07:05:18 pm »
Let the bees handle it at this point.  Since we don't know your location, hard to suggest a precautionary measure.  I know Florida has rain issues like that and can suggest a beach umbrella next time your working the hives.

Dash

Offline njfl

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 07:17:53 pm »
I agree. As long as the hive is closed up well, the bees should take care of things.

Offline Musketeer21

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 07:50:50 pm »
I hope they're ok. Im worried some of the uncapped brood may have drowned.lol

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 09:14:42 pm »
They won't have to look for water now!  :drowning:

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 09:20:58 pm »
If the wet frames go into a hive it is ok.  If wet frames are not going into a hive, better lay them out to dry.   Wet frames in storage will mold. 

Offline tjc1

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 12:09:22 am »
I had some frames this spring in the corner outside positions that had a dusting of mold on them (from hive condensation, I presume) - what should you do if this happens?

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 08:36:40 am »
I've had lids blow off in a rain storm, or hives blow over in a rain storm. They just need to be upright and closed and they will take care of things.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything