Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Finski  (Read 3230 times)

Offline Jackam

• House Bee
Finski
« on: July 09, 2013, 03:12:12 am »
It is summer now. Take all feeders away.
feeding in July makes better honey yield.

I enjoy your posts and participation Finski.
Sometimes I have trouble crossing the language barrier.
What about these two posts? Feed or don't feed?

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
Re: Finski
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 03:43:49 am »
His English is fine, it’s his bee keeping I worry about.  :laugh:

The answer is DON’T feed in Michigan in the summer.

Offline Better.to.Bee.than.not

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 04:06:16 am »
I'm sort of surprised to hear finski saying to feed at all...he strikes me as more of a "If they survive they do it on their own, and if not they deserve to die, because they have weak genetics" type of guy.

I do not believe their is a 'hard' answer of do or do not feed in july, or at any time. it all depends imo on the circumstances present. There are beeks who during a flow, will buy or use weak honey, and feed it to their hives. their mentality is they'll take it in, mix it with their own enzymes, store it and make it better evidently which they will be able to sell or get later. also to stop them from eating the honey they are producing and storing so much, thus increasing reserves and stores. I'm not saying I agree and think it is also downright dishonest in some ways if they resell.

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 05:51:02 am »
It is summer now. Take all feeders away.
feeding in July makes better honey yield.

I enjoy your posts and participation Finski.
Sometimes I have trouble crossing the language barrier.
What about these two posts? Feed or don't feed?

That bolded txt was meant to be a joke.

I understand very well English.

If I do not, I ask for help then.

Language barrier NOT included

Offline Jackam

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 09:54:44 am »
That bolded txt was meant to be a joke.
Got it!
Thanks for the clarification!

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 03:01:18 pm »
There are beeks who during a flow, will buy or use weak honey, and feed it to their hives. their mentality is they'll take it in, mix it with their own enzymes, store it and make it better evidently which they will be able to sell
That is about the dumbest idea I’ve read yet.  You NEVER want to feed bees honey from an unknown source.  It could have AFB spores and destroy your whole bee yard.  I don’t know where you ever come up with this one. :?  I have never heard of a real beek doing this, it doesn’t make logical or economic sense.  If a beek wants to cheat the system, it’s a lot cheaper to dilute their honey with HFCS or sugar to get more volume; or just illegally import from China as a big wholesaler has done here in Michigan. :(

Offline WarPonyFarms

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 04:09:38 pm »
Wow,

A new respect for Finski....

I didn't realize he had a sense of humor... now we get the joke.  :lau:

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 04:41:20 pm »
That is about the dumbest idea I’ve read yet.  You NEVER want to feed bees honey from an unknown source.  It could have AFB spores and destroy your whole bee yard.  I don’t know where you ever come up with this one. :?  I have never heard of a real beek doing this, it doesn’t make logical or economic sense.  If a beek wants to cheat the system, it’s a lot cheaper to dilute their honey with HFCS or sugar to get more volume; or just illegally import from China as a big wholesaler has done here in Michigan. :(
They do not view it as cheating anything...if you read what I said, I am the one who disagreed with it, not them. They think because the bees are merely using it, just as they would nectar or any other source somehow it is still their honey. I do not know their particulars, we didn't get into it. I do not know where they get their 'low' end honey from or what they pay for it or what have you, I mentioned why not simply blend it yourself, like everyone does anyways? They seemed to believe this somehow made it more 'legit'. but they sell their honey, and have been doing so for at least 4 years now that I know of, more then likely a lot longer. S-W michigan.

Offline jeepjivenwale

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 07:02:53 pm »
I'm curious as to who this Wholeasaler is...rhymes with?

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 07:28:27 pm »
China filters their fake through a couple of different countries. I guess if it sets in their yard for five seconds then it comes from that country instead of China.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2013, 09:59:38 pm »
 I wouldn't want to start the rumor without specific proof, and honestly there was no distinction even made of if they use poor quality honey from their own hives or elswhere even, they just mentioned what they mentioned as we were talking. For all I know they could remove it early from the hive, and then return it, even to only the same hive. I am not mentioning it to specifically make it sound only as a means of 'cheating' per say...there can be valid reasons I didn't 'get'. for instance even, it takes about 8 lbs of honey to make a lb of wax for instance. A honey bee produces wax most efficiently at like the 8th to the 16th day of its life. giving it to the bees, as I stated in my original mentioning of it, may be used as a means at certain times allow to them a production of wax, without taking the 'valuable honey' or something. I don't know.
  I do know many honey sellers do not  use even a spectrometer or spectrum view to even gauge their honeys before selling, and all pretty much blend since they are using frames from different hives/etc and of course even within the same hive there will obviously be different qualities of honey Anyways...so....  But, I know it isn;t me doing it thats for sure. Though since the conversation, I have thought about different aspects of doing it for different reasons, but none of those reasons are to sell it and make more money, except in the sense of making the hives stronger, and thus producing more being so.

you never want to feed honey bees from a unknown source...hehe...BB goes out and checks all the flowers in a 10 mile radius one by one surely, as well as all the other hives everywhere they rob from.... Oh wait I think I remember him mentioning all his hives dying constantly in past posts.

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2013, 10:07:04 pm »
LOL, yeah right.  I guess I better cancel that order for 1000 new frames.  :laugh:

BetterBee, would you purposely lock yourself in a room full of west nile carrying mosquitoes since there are already some carrying the west nile virus in Michigan?  Ever hear of probability theory?  I sure wouldn't go out of my way to expose my bees to a contagion.

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2013, 10:23:11 pm »
heh...ok...I was just coming back in here to reply that last bit I said was 'probably' uncalled for.....you deserve to answer back. ;)

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2013, 10:35:19 pm »
Fair enough, I'll move on.

Yes, Finski can have a sense of humor sometimes   :) 

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2013, 01:17:43 am »
Fair enough, I'll move on.

Yes, Finski can have a sense of humor sometimes   :) 

There is a limit between humour and stupidity.

My biggest hobby after beekeeping  is to tease idiots.

Language barrier NOT included

Offline RC

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2013, 08:27:32 am »

My biggest hobby after beekeeping  is to tease idiots.

[/quote]

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2013, 09:18:31 am »
Blueboy's knowledge always amasses me.  He is like a walking beekeepers for Dummies book

anything