Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Goldenrod is here....  (Read 6481 times)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: Goldenrod is here....
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2011, 07:12:19 pm »
Not sure what an old cow barn tastes like but I'll take your word for it!  :-D

The goldenrod honey we get here in southeast Louisiana is to die for its so good and no after taste. I'm wondering if you have a different variety.

You can leave the uncapped on longer and see if they cap it. If most of it (75%) is capped it likely can be harvested. If concerned its not test with a refractometer.

You can always freeze it for later.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2011, 07:39:44 pm »
The smell is the only thing thats 'off' for me. I havent tasted a kind of honey yet that I didnt like.

Offline yockey5

• Field Bee
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2011, 07:46:37 pm »
Common for honey to have an odor when it is first put up. I have found that this 'odor' will go away as the honey cures out a bit.

Offline Judy in in

• New Bee
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2011, 07:56:19 pm »
I haven't seen any goldenrod blooming here so far. I still have drones in my hives. I do believe we'll have an early fall season, though.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2011, 08:24:32 pm »
Common for honey to have an odor when it is first put up. I have found that this 'odor' will go away as the honey cures out a bit.

Its not the honey that has the odor its the hive in general that has the odor when goldenrod is coming in. It could even be goldenrod pollen giving off the odor, I'll investigate further when I go in this October.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2011, 03:14:23 am »
"last year I had some golden rod honey I think, judging by the smell and it left an after taste like you had licked an old cow barn.  the taste just made me think of the smell of an old cow milking barn.  I thought it was AWFULL."

That make two of us.  I got a flow off the golden last year.  I had two honey's in my comb.  One the outer portion of the frames with near white wax, and the latter, yellow wax cappings with the goldenrod honey.  I extracted the all white first, then with my uncapping scratcher took the white capped honey first out of frames that were worth the effort.  I filtered and bottled all the then extracted the rest.  The golden granulated really fast.  I opened some come spring and took a taste, not to bad, wait a second, oh my, what kinda crap is that, AWFULL!  Thank goodness I tasted that before I gave any to my aunt to sell.  I thought maybe it spoiled, so I tried some of the first stuff and it was fine.

I have heard many say its good honey, have read its bitter honey, have read this and that about it.  Maybe it is the varity here but I sure the heck aint selling it to nobody.  The bees can keep it.  I have many jars of it that I will feed back to the bees this fall.
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline octagon

• House Bee
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2011, 07:59:54 am »
same here been in bloom for about 2 to 3 weeks. what a beautifulen site. got a huge feild next door loaded looks like a sea of yellow :-D just looked up golden rod never new there was so many species
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldenrod

do you know how many species there are in NYS?

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2011, 02:55:25 pm »
OK, will definitely savor our goldenrod honey on this end.

...JP

Offline slacker361

• Field Bee
    • Thank You Honey
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2011, 03:51:34 pm »
Yep just went out and hit the golf course today and the one hill side has the golden rod blooming....

Offline Stone

• House Bee
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2011, 04:52:27 pm »
Bees are coming in with lots of pollen from the golden rod here.  Been blooming for over a week that I noticed.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2011, 05:37:00 pm »
Believe it or not even here in western PA the golden rod has started to bloom .... I think it is very very early for it.....

Goldenrod started to bloom about the last week of July or the first week of August were I live in Massachusetts it been like this for for the lasts 50 years.
Just my $0.02

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/