Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Nice bees?  (Read 2246 times)

Offline Psparr

• Field Bee
Nice bees?
« on: May 26, 2013, 05:45:56 pm »
Trust me I am very wet behind the ears and have only gone into the hive four times since I got it, and spent many hours already just sitting in front of the hive with my head darn near on the landing board looking into the entrance seeing how the bees drop down off the frames, land on their backs, roll over and fly out to forage. But have yet to be stung. And wether right or wrong my three young girls spend a lot of time right along side me, all without any protection. Had planned on getting a veil, but do you know the only thing they were out of when I got there? Yup.  I'm sure my welcome will wear thin sooner rather than later but for now they are some really nice bees.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
Re: Nice bees?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 06:03:18 pm »
the attitude will change quickly once the flow is over.

Offline Mackayboi

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 12:02:14 pm »
Just be prepared when the bees change mood.
In my experience as a primary school teacher, children and any potential danger is made worse by the fact that children love to explore and may involve an 'accidental' sting.
Best to keep the kids with a nice experience with bees, because a sting will quickly make them dislike them.
Just my two bobs worth.

Offline timdalyiii

• House Bee
  • Bee Cool
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 12:08:29 pm »
It seems like busy bees are happy bees.  Probably more that they don't have time for you. 

My kids go in waves.  As their confidence rises, their respect falls.  Then a little over confident and BAM!  a sting on the finger or hand.  Then confidence crashes and respect for the bees sky rockets.  It gradually will go the other way again.

Offline JWChesnut

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 12:10:41 pm »
Young hives with abundant flow are not defensive.  Strong hives at times of dearth are very vigilant. Hives during the disturbance in the social order that accompanies swarming are aggressive.

Nothing will sour children faster on working on their parent's hobby than getting swollen up with bee stings.  And early childhood stings can precipitate a bee allergy for life, and one that becomes life-threatening.

Offline Psparr

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 02:28:37 pm »
They've been stung quite a few times before by yellow jackets, and I'm sure there time is coming with our bees but for now it's neat for them. They love it.

Offline Carol

• House Bee
    • critters and crawlers visiting or living in my back yard
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 06:31:15 pm »
glad to see I am not the only one who sits with their noses in the hive. I keep a chair there. Love to watch the orientation flights. Every day around 3:30 pm for at least 15 minutes. Today it was almost 1/2 hr...lots of bees.

Offline Psparr

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 06:41:39 pm »
Love it!

anything