Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: The Badge  (Read 2178 times)

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
The Badge
« on: February 05, 2010, 11:12:10 pm »
We've all met one of these guys, haven't we?

The Power of a Badge.....

A DEA officer stops at a ranch in South Dakota, and talks with an old rancher.  He tells the rancher, "I need to inspect your ranch for illegally grown drugs.."  The rancher says, "Okay , but do not go in that field over there," as he points out the location.

The DEA officer verbally explodes saying, "Mister,  I have the authority of the Federal Government with me."  Reaching into his rear pants pocket, he removes his badge and proudly displays it to the rancher.  "See this badge?  This badge means I am allowed to go wherever I wish, on any land.  No questions asked or answers given.  Have I made myself clear?  Do you understand? "

The rancher nods politely, apologizes, and goes about his chores.

A short time later, the old rancher hears loud screams and sees the DEA officer running for his life chased by the rancher's big Santa Gertrudis bull......

With every step the bull is gaining ground on the officer, and it seems likely that he'll get gored  before he reaches safety.  The officer is clearly terrified. The rancher throws down his tools, runs to the fence and yells at the top of his lungs.....

" Your badge!  Show him your BADGE ! "

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: The Badge
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 11:41:43 pm »
When I was a kid we had a small stump farm in the flight path of NAS Whidbey (I live north of it now, still get a few flights) and had a large fan marker (visual flight indicator) on our farm.  This was in 1951 or 52 when jets were still new and a little unreliable.
One day a Navy jet blew up right over our farm.  The navigator ejected and he looked like a thistle seed in the wind hanging from his parachute.  He landed in the woods a short distance from our farm and walked out towards the fan marker.  My brother and I ran all the way from the house to the barn, a 1/4 mile, heads up, feet stumbling, watching the parachute descend.
A rescue Helicopter came over the trees and landed a short distance from the fan marker.  It was in the same pasture as our cows and our grandfather's jersey bull.
When the helicopter landed the bull came racing up from the lower end of the field and herded the flight crew back into the chopper and the aviator back to our side of the fence. 
It was a mexican stand off, bull against chopper, until my Dad arrived, in a cloud of dust, and chased the bull away so the aviator could be successfully rescued.
The pilot was still in the plan when it hit the ground about a 1/2 mile away and exploded.  My Dad worked parttime for the County and from his vantage point that day, it looked like the plane had crashed in the middle of his small farm, which is what brought him home.

So I know about bulls, they don't respect rank either.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
Re: The Badge
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 09:14:27 pm »
 :lau: Funny !! Brian. Who needs a watch dog when you have a beast like that on guard, huh ?  :-D

anything