Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Pieces of what looks like wool in old hive  (Read 2854 times)

Offline Nkwazi

• New Bee
Pieces of what looks like wool in old hive
« on: June 09, 2013, 06:07:12 pm »
I got two hives given to me and am in the process of cleaning them out.  Most of the hive seems fine, but two of the frames have something that looks like bits of wool in the middle part of the comb.  It doesn't look like it's mould or fungus or even anything like insects.  Is it possible that it's something the bees carried into and accidentally incorporated into the comb or is it actually a disease or something I haven't read about yet. (Which is very likely, since I'm just starting)

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
Re: Pieces of what looks like wool in old hive
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 06:17:09 pm »
Probably wax moth webs
A pic would help be sure
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline Nkwazi

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 10:12:57 pm »

I'll send an image to the admins, since I can't post links yet.

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 08:13:44 am »
Look for wax moth larvae.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline Nkwazi

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 11:46:12 am »
I looked at pictures of what a wax moth infestation looks like and it doesn't look anything like that.  The combs are all empty as well.  The cells were all built, but they never seemed to have had any honey or pupae in them.  Maybe wool was a bad description.  It looked like someone unravelled an old carpet and stuffed pieces in the comb.  There were no dead larvae or casings or anything else that would point in the direction of wax moths either.

Offline Oblio13

• House Bee
    • Philosophizing with a Hammer
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 03:01:36 pm »
Mouse nest?

Offline Nkwazi

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 03:31:07 pm »
Actually, that might just be it.  Never even thought of it.  One less thing to worry about.

anything