Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Pollen-palooza!  (Read 1199 times)

Offline dfizer

• House Bee
Pollen-palooza!
« on: March 31, 2013, 09:57:26 pm »
Hello all -

Today we had temps in the upper 50's and the bees were flying pretty good.  The only thing keeping them from flying like mad was the wind.  We had a lot of wind 15-20mph.  Anyway, the bees were bringing in a lot of pollen.  This is relatively odd given that nothing is blooming - at least nothing I can find.  I have attached a couple of pic's of the pollen-palooza that was going on!

Any idea what's coming in? 

David

Offline Georgia Boy

• Field Bee
Re: Pollen-palooza!
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 10:01:31 pm »
Wow!!! They are loaded. Too cool.

Thanks for the pictures.

Can't wait to get my own bees so I can just sit and watch.  Love it!!!!\

David
"Give it All You've Got"
"Never give up. Never surrender."

Offline dfizer

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 10:29:52 pm »
Thanks David -

I hope all goes well for you next weekend.  One cool thing is to see all that pollen coming in.  If you click on the picture you can see close up the pollen.  I love when the bright yellow packets are coming in!

David

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 10:54:36 pm »
Maple pollen.

Offline fshrgy99

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 10:59:48 pm »
We have had about a week with temps rising above freezing during the days. Snow is about gone. Day before yesterday my bees were out and same thing ... dark yellow and orange pollen!

Are those styrene hives?

How long have you been using them?

Offline tjc1

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 11:44:12 pm »
Same thing here in coastal Mass. - I was guessing crocus pollen, other early flowers (haven't seen any daffodils), though I've seen various shades of gold/yellow and also some grayish colored. Maples here not in bloom yet, nor the willow.

Offline dfizer

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 01:45:19 am »
Yes the hives are polystyrene (beemax).  I have had them for 3 years and really like them.  They seem to be very durable.  I treat them pretty well so I'm not sure how they'd hold up if I threw them etc.  I am expanding the apiary and will definitely be using these when I expand. 

The pollen coming in is really exciting and I hope this is a sign of things to come.

David

anything