Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Great Year For Cymbidiums  (Read 3243 times)

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
Great Year For Cymbidiums
« on: March 08, 2009, 03:30:58 am »

I have had these orchids for over 30 years.  The originals came from my Uncle whom I loved dearly.  I have divided them and have many.  Some have chartreuse blooms...Soooo purdy!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: Great Year For Cymbidiums
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 10:18:32 am »
Nice Sharon, I see you keep them in pots. Do you bring them in when its cold? Your uncle sounds like he was a very good fellow to teach you flower things.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 08:12:01 pm »
Yes JP they live in pots, regular terra cotta pots.  I try to give them new bark every other year or so.  They live outside ALL year rain, shine, or cold...I have never lost one to weather!  Very hardy orchids!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 09:21:39 pm »
My Dad is the one with the green thumb in my family. He has plants on top of plants and vegetable garden and friut trees.

Many times I would help him bring in all those plants when a freeze was expected. We'd fill up two rooms with all those plants.

Thank God that he doesn't have as many large potted plants anymore. I knew it would be a matter of time before I grew a hernia helping him move all those heavy pots.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 09:44:28 pm »
Hernias are COOL!!
 I just read a book DVD called the Orchid hunter(or something like that) It was ok, but It really didnt blow my doors off the hinges! It DID teach me about orchids some tho! and it DID make me get on the internet to take a closer look!
They are amazing tho, just not my cup of tea. I really like hibiscus! But, I have to bring them inside in the winter here to keep them alive.
your friend,
john

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 11:51:35 am »
Well Friends,

The cyms are pretty darned easy to keep.  Indoor I have phalaenopsis ( moth orchid ).  The toughest thing about them, is patience.  After the spikes are finished with their blooms, have to kinda wait a bit for the next one to pop up!