Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: One year old dead hive in SE PA  (Read 1855 times)

Offline WTGardiner

• Brood
One year old dead hive in SE PA
« on: March 12, 2009, 06:22:24 pm »
I got bees last spring.  They're dead now.  Perhaps I didn't start feeding soon enough this winter/spring.  I'm wondering about someone advising if I have a problem.  The Chester Cty Beekeepers Assoc meets on Saturday nights and I just can't do that (I have a family first, then bees).  I spoke to Bjorn who said it was a dry fall and a cold winter = bad longevity.  He also says I'm late to order northern bees.   Any comments to share?  I'm in Radnor township 13 mi west of Philadelphia.

Bill

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
Re: One year old dead hive in SE PA
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 09:14:36 pm »
Hello and Welcome  Bill
There is alot of great information on the forum !!
The members here are willing help and answer your questions, all you need to do is to ask
Johnny

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 12:03:43 am »
Hi!
I'd recommend trying to find a place that will ship you a package.  Often the local beek club will order packages, you may want to ask, even if you can't join.

Troll around here for other beeks in the area, most people are more than willing to help and share if needs bee.

Get your name on some swarm lists, there is a good one on this site.  Search the web for "PA honeybee swarm" and see what comes up and if you can get on their lists.  The local agriculture extension office likely gets queries about people to get swarms, talk to them about a swarm list, as well as the local police and fire depts.  Call around to some local exterminators, and ask if they are interested in saving bees and offer to pick them up for them.

If you do one or more of those, you will likely have more bees than you ever imagined by the mid summer.  I did, and with the whole "family first, bees ..." rule there wasn't a way to take care of most of the calls.

You can put your first swarm in the bottom box, the second in the top box, and then you have to figure out what to do with the rest :)

Rick
Rick

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 02:34:59 pm »
Bill, welcome to our forum, this is wonderful that you have found us.  We will help you, we will listen to your questions, you will get answers, just wait, this will be a place also where you can tell your stories, tales and experiences, we love new members, and the biggest welcome aboard to you.  Have a most wonderful day, health life, love our life, it is worthy.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

anything