Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: honey with 12% moisture  (Read 3801 times)

Offline cbinstrasburg

• New Bee
honey with 12% moisture
« on: January 06, 2014, 04:47:55 pm »
I have a problem with my honey being to dry...It is clear (looks good) and the taste is good but is sooo thick...this honey was uncapped when extracted (meaning it was capped when I took it from the hive)...also it was 95* while it was being extracted. I purchased a Atago refractor to check this honey that I suspected to be too dry and sure enough it is 12%. At room temp it is stiffer than peanut butter. I have 6 gallons of this stuff and don't know what to do with it. Has anybody had this problem and know what to do with it. Can I mix with distilled water and get it back to 17% or so and it still be saleable. Or what can I do. Let me say my apiary is in the middle of 100 acres of flood irrigated alfalfa. I have searched for information and still at a total loss. Any help would be muchly appreciated.

Carl   

Moots

Re: honey with 12% moisture
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 05:17:51 pm »
Hmm...Interesting problem!   In my experience, everyone's problem seems to always be on the other end of the spectrum, too high of a moisture content.

Possibly a good candidate for Creamed Honey???  Maybe?  :?

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 11:07:26 pm »
It would be great for mixing with high moisture honey. If you store it in a high moisture area, like a steamy bathroom, it will absorb moisture.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline cbinstrasburg

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 02:57:59 am »
It would be great for mixing with high moisture honey. If you store it in a high moisture area, like a steamy bathroom, it will absorb moisture.
Jim
would you pour it out like in a flat pan or tub?

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 03:37:06 am »
If you are intending to let it absorb moisture from the atmosphere then yes, the more surface area exposed the better.

Offline cbinstrasburg

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 10:35:36 am »
If you are intending to let it absorb moisture from the atmosphere then yes, the more surface area exposed the better.

what do you all think about adding distilled water.  I live in a dry climate.

Moots

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 11:58:47 am »

what do you all think about adding distilled water.  I live in a dry climate.

Hmm...I guess it "could" work.  But I've never heard of doing that!  :shock:  First blush...I don't like the idea, but that's just my 2 cents!

Offline cbinstrasburg

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 12:21:41 pm »
I have a big chest freezer I use as a honey heater...guess I could put a pan of water over the heat lamp with the honey to the side...wonder how fast it will absorb the moisture and will it be evenly through the pan...guess I could stir it now and then...what you think?

Moots

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 01:15:59 pm »
I have a big chest freezer I use as a honey heater...guess I could put a pan of water over the heat lamp with the honey to the side...wonder how fast it will absorb the moisture and will it be evenly through the pan...guess I could stir it now and then...what you think?

Again...I have no experience with this problem...

But I think that's more the route I'd go.  For whatever reason, I just don't think adding water directly would work.

Just thinking out loud here....What about putting it in a room with a humidifier?  I know folks that place their honey in a room with a dehumidifier whenever their moisture content is too high.  Not sure how long it would take, but the honey will definitely absorb moisture from the air.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2014, 03:00:26 pm »
If I didn't have any other honey, that is what I would do. Just be sure to keep close tabs on it and keep testing it. Honey is hydroscopic, very good at absorbing water.
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2014, 07:36:34 pm »
take a quart of your thick honey.  Add a measured amount of water and mix thoroughly and see what the moisture level is.  I regularly sell 16% moisture and it pleasingly thick.  When you figure out how much added water a quart takes to get to wherever you want your product, do the math.  Then never talk about it again.  Nobody wants to think they are getting watered honey. 

Offline cbinstrasburg

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2014, 11:43:26 pm »
just want to say thanks for the replies

Regards
Carl