Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Feeding honey back to the bees  (Read 5716 times)

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
Feeding honey back to the bees
« on: June 11, 2007, 09:19:12 pm »
I am not needing to feed bees, but when fall/winter comes, I may need to with my small hives.  I'd like not to use syrup but instead to feed naturally which would mean feeding honey ...

so I'm wondering how to feed honey back to the bees? 

Obviously the best way is to give them capped frames of honey which I can do, but if there's not enough of that, if I've taken too much or our drought in Georgia keeps affecting the plant life, then....

I have some jars of honey from last year's partially filled frames.  If I want to use those to feed back to the bees, do I put the honey in a feeder bottle like a Boardman bottle and put it in the hive to feed or is there another way to use harvested honey to feed the bees?

Linda T in Atlanta

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
Re: Feeding honey back to the bees
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 10:03:10 pm »
You can pour the honey in a small puddle form on a flat cookie sheet. The bees will come and take it.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 10:04:45 pm »
>Obviously the best way is to give them capped frames of honey which I can do, but if there's not enough of that

That's my preference.

After that I think it's easier to feed syrup.  I don't feel so bad when it goes bad.  If I feed honey I like to feed it straight because if I water it down it spoils.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 11:44:23 am »
tille, if it was there like it was here about 3:30 am this morning, well if it does it again about every week we should be ok. I mean it came down good for a while. I'd just feed sugar syrup.
doak

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 08:01:52 pm »
Hey Tillie you probably have a frame or two for that Nuc when you need it your other hives are doing pretty good .Just be on the look out for a couple of frames.you will be ok your turning into a very good beekeeper
kirko
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

anything