Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bumblebees not doing so hot either  (Read 2307 times)

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
Bumblebees not doing so hot either
« on: October 09, 2007, 09:29:17 am »
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/science/20071007-2339-farmscene-plightofbumblebee.html

Bumblebees may bee in more danger than Honeybees.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: Bumblebees not doing so hot either
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 11:03:10 am »
Brendhan, by the way, I love that you give us these sites to read.  Yeah!!!  This is a sorry thing about the bumblebee species this guy could not find, bummer.  Have a great and wonderful day, great life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007, 07:46:49 pm »
I'm baffled every fall when the farmers cut all of the weeds down in all of the ditches, ending the last of the forage for all the pollinators.  That's devastating enough.  Then, of course, Varroa seem to be affecting the bumble bees.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline abejaruco

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 05:47:52 pm »
Then, of course, Varroa seem to be affecting the bumble bees.

Perhaps, nearly sure, is the Nosema.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2007, 06:38:37 pm »
i have noticed that the bumble bees here come in cycles.  some years i see none.  some years, like this year, they are all over the place.  in fact, this year i saw more than in any other year, and in more variety.  the bees may not have had much of a year, but the bumbles were booming.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.