Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: NEWBIE-NO-EXPERIENCE here to get educated BEFoRE I get bees  (Read 3009 times)

Offline gypsyheart777

• Brood
NEWBIE-NO-EXPERIENCE here to get educated BEFoRE I get bees
« on: April 27, 2008, 02:39:13 pm »
Hello all. My name is Gypsy.  I want to get educated before I get my bees. I know nothing but want to learn everything I can before I get my first bees.  I live in hot,dry West Texas.I just moved to the country and planted fruit trees and a garden.I have a horse rescue-5 horses, peacocks,chickens,dogs and cats. I will plant what is best for bees and try with all of my might to nuture and take care of them when i get them.  Thanks in avance for any and all info.   Blessings,Gypsy

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: NEWBIE-NO-EXPERIENCE here to get educated BEFoRE I get bees
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 12:19:11 am »
Gypsy, welcome to our forum.  By the way, what a beautiful name, very nice, be proud of that.  You are wise to learn lots about bees, you will find that the more you know the more that you will want to know, you will be captive under their spell, even without looking after them.  You will have many questions, always feel free to call on your new forum friends for any answers to questions, advice, anything, we are all here to help.  AND...we are all still learning too, no one can say they know everything about the bees.  They will surprise you, left, right and centre, so welcome, now have that wonderful and most beautiful day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline HAB

• HEAVENLY BEEKEEPER
  • Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 10:15:39 am »
Glad you found the site, your gonna love it here! There is no better place to learn from. :)

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 12:26:47 pm »
Hey there, Gypsy!
Hello and Welcome!

This is a great forum to learn about bees. Be sure to check out the tutorials on the main page: our Beemaster has done a terrific job on them.

It will also help if you update your profile to include your location. We probably won't remember that you're from West Texas. Much of beekeeping is location-specific, so we'll be better able to answer your questions when we know where you are.

I know Texas is big, but if you're within a reasonable distance of any beekeeping clubs, I highly recommend getting involved:
http://www.texasbeekeepers.org/indexDynFrames.htm?http://www.texasbeekeepers.org/Directories/TBA%20Chapters.htm&1
Many clubs offer beginning beekeeping classes, and they are great places to find mentors and learn first hand how beekeeping is done in your area.

Lastly, I use the 'search' function a lot. Many times I find that my question has already been asked, and I can find one or more threads that have already discussed it. A big time saver if you're impatient, like me!

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 12:34:05 am »
Welcome to the forums, Gypsy!
 As said earlier, this forum site IS the best around!
 I started my bees last spring and I'm an expert now! All because I get my information from here :-D
 Just kiddin' ya!..I mean, as far as being an expert, that is! I hardly know anything about bees like other people who come to this site, but theres an answer for just about everything about bees here! You're going to see Micheal Bush mentioned alot of times. Also, Michael will post links for questions you have about what you've gotten yourself into ;)(Beekeeping I'm talking about)...Dont overlook these links Micheal provides as they are truly full of great stuff and also easy to read and understand!
And another thing :)....You're entering a world of mystery and wonder!! You'll find yourself thinking, eating, and sleeping bees!!!..You'll be seeing all kinds of living things, plants and animals in a different light!....You're going to be a "BEE JUNKIE"!...You'll be talking to everybody you know about what you've learned about honeybees! Before you know it, the only ones who will hear you will be the bees themselves as all your friends will run away from you because they wont be able to hear another word from you about bees! You'll also go to the library for bee books! Then you'll open the books to certain pages and find a copier to copy them!....Lets not forget how you're gonna be searching the tv programs for bee reports and bee documentaries!
 heres something.....If you havent seen the movie "Ulees Gold" go ahead and buy it.....Ive done this and have watched it several times just to see the bee parts!(The story is good too).
 Dont be afraid to post anything here as theres always an answer for your questions(Maybe several answers for that matter!)
Well, anyways, welcome to your new circle of friends! I believe you really will know what I'm talking about in a matter of weeks if not days. I really think that beekeepers are not just the peculiar people most non-beekeepers think of us as...I think beekeeping is sort of a "Calling". As for me, theres isnt anything that has gotten hold of me like the bees have!...I fish alot and do good at it. Beekeeping, on the other hand, is different.....I dont think I'll ever be "GOOD" at it.......I'll just be able to do it better after years go by!
 well, good luck with your start!..The world really does depend on you and your bees!! (No pressure there, eh?) heh heh heh.... :)

your friend,
john

Offline KS wife

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2008, 12:11:24 pm »
I'm brand new here as well and already I've found this place to be very friendly and extraordinarily helpful.  The search function on this board is great.  It's already solved a problem for me.   :-D