Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Small Hive Beetle frames frozen, Reuse?  (Read 4562 times)

Offline Stevebug

• New Bee
    • Bugnacki Family History
Small Hive Beetle frames frozen, Reuse?
« on: July 06, 2013, 03:05:01 am »

I had a hive that had a bunch of flies on the front of it. I finally got a decent day to open it up. All med boxes. The top three were filled and active. Two months ago I put in a box not drawn out because they were getting crowded and the last box on the bottom had uncapped honey and some pollen on the frames. When I got to the bottom screened board there was a mustard couple of mounds about three inches across. They were loaded with what I assume to be small hive beetle larva. Six out of 10 frames that were already drawn out, were crawling with the same type of larva. I pulled the bottom box and screen bottom board out and took them a good distance from the other hives I have. I heard that you can freeze the frames but the seasoned beekeeper told me to cut out or destroy the wax frames. If they are frozen and all the few larva left on the frames were frozen, why could I not put them back onto a strong hive? You do this with wax moth damage. The combs were not damaged per-say but the pollen/ nectar mix had whetted all these frames. I did manage to plunge them into my fish/ turtle pond so they would have a snack to eat and then bagged them for the freezer. Thanks

Ps I put diatomaceous earth on the crawling larva under the old hive site and where they were falling off the frames onto the driveway.
Proverbs 3:5,6  Trust in the Lord with all your heart, lean not on your own understanding but in all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your paths.

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
Re: Small Hive Beetle frames frozen, Reuse?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 12:22:25 pm »
I don't know why you could not reuse them if the damage is not too great.  If there is a lot of fouled and slimed honey I don't think the bees would like it back.  But probably by that point the comb would be too messed up to reuse.

Lone

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 09:34:54 pm »
Oil trays kill the larvae when they try to leave the hive.  And yes, if the frames do not look too bad, reuse them.   The bees do an excellent job cleaning them up.   

Offline hiram.ga.bee.man

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 12:49:07 am »
Reuse them. Done it many times.
You ever notice that prices are inflating, but wages are deflating?

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 08:38:48 am »
I re use them. Bees do a good job of fixing them up. If it is one big slime mess, I cut out the wax and seal it in a bag and throw it away.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin