Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Feedback needed From anyone on the Eastern Shore of Maryland.  (Read 2001 times)

Offline EasternShore

• House Bee
  • Tending 50K angry insects is just .........crazy!
    • OMG Apiary
3 colonies at my house and 2 at another site are all broodless...tons of Bees there. I was in them 10 days ago and all had brood, only one had swarm cells (7) which were 6 on one frame ,1 on a seperate frame. I took the 6 and made a split, that queen was spotted.

The other colonies are 4-5 level hives with 2 deeps and 2-3 supers.

Could all the rain cause this?
All have plenty of pollen and honey, but not bound up yet.
I hate to waste money buying 3-5 queen only to find out the Big Mommas were hiding.

Suggestions..
Anything worth doing is worth doing well.
We are the keepers, it is our duty to preserve life.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: Feedback needed From anyone on the Eastern Shore of Maryland.
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 12:21:46 am »
3 colonies at my house and 2 at another site are all broodless...tons of Bees there. I was in them 10 days ago and all had brood, only one had swarm cells (7) which were 6 on one frame ,1 on a seperate frame. I took the 6 and made a split, that queen was spotted.

The other colonies are 4-5 level hives with 2 deeps and 2-3 supers.

Could all the rain cause this?
All have plenty of pollen and honey, but not bound up yet.
I hate to waste money buying 3-5 queen only to find out the Big Mommas were hiding.

Suggestions..

That sounds like they all swarmed.  Prior to a swarm the queen quits laying, after the swarm all or most of the brood hatches.  The beekeeper looks in sees a lot of bees so it doesn't look like a swarm because all the hatched brood rebuilt the population back up, and no sign of eggs.  Wait a couple of weeks and recheck the hives, chances are that by then you'll find lots of brood and other signs of a very active queen.

The other possibility is a self imposed brood dearth.  Russians are good at that and Carnies aren't far behind.  Is your main spring flow over?  When the start of your next flow?  If a self imposed brood dearth you'll see evidence of brood once a new flow starts.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline EasternShore

• House Bee
    • OMG Apiary
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 08:05:03 pm »
Our flow is still rather strong but has been washed out with nearly continuous rains. This is by far the most rain they've seen here.
Should I do a frame by frame search again and locate my queens?  These are all in their first spring since they were cutout or captured if that makes any difference.

Thanks Brian for responding..

Mark and Becky

Offline rickomatic

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 08:25:52 pm »
Brian,
A little bit off topic, but...is there anyplace where I can reference what and when Western Washington flows are? I'm a first year guy and this is one area where I'm really clueless.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 12:48:50 am »
Brian,
a little bit off topic, but...is there anyplace where I can reference what and when Western Washington flows are? I'm a first year guy and this is one area where I'm really clueless.

We have 4 different flows of value in the Puget Sound area.  The 1st starts in February and begings with the pussywillows, alder, and Maple and ends with the fruit trees.  There is then a short dearth period where dandilions and clovers might still play a part but that dearth is noted by the onset of buttercups.  As the buttercups die out the Raspberries, blackberries, and other plants start the 2nd flow.  Later in the summer, late July to Mid August there is the wildflowers flow that's primarily noted for the fireweed in the mountains.  Lastly there is a late flow, asters and the like, in mid September that lasts about 2 weeks and is good for topping of the hives stores going into winter.
I usually harvest after the 1st 3 flows and let the bees have the last one plus feeding if needed.  In a year with a good fall flow no feeding is necessary.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Cossack

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 11:04:10 pm »
Mark,

Hi, I feel your pain this has been the wettest spring in history. I have mosquitos bigger than my bees flying around. I was thinking about  instead of Honey production to make some mosquito hives and sell blood to the blood banks. LoL.

I have captured 10 swarms this year and now am up to 17 Hives. I have three different people that have told me about hives in buildings. So basically I have 3 cut-outs if I want them.

My Honey flow is really down this year due to all the rain.

P.S. - I got your number and will try to call you soon. My garden, bees, wife and kids, and oh yea work have got me busy.

Good Luck.
Mike.
I had a dream last night, I was eating a 10 pound marshmallow. I woke up this morning and the pillow was gone.....

Offline EasternShore

• House Bee
    • OMG Apiary
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 09:47:55 am »
Update..looks like these girls all decided to supercede at once..found queens and all started laying within the last few days. Ya just never know what these girls are going to do...
Thanks everyone for once again for all your wisdom.

anything