Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Smoker  (Read 5536 times)

Offline MrILoveTheAnts

• Field Bee
    • Biodiverse Gardens
Smoker
« on: March 22, 2007, 04:08:18 pm »
Does anyone have a special technique to getting a smoker to stay lit for more than 2 minutes? Usually I'll put new leaves on top of the ash from the previous burning, light that on fire and put more leaves on. This seems to work well as I once had it burning for 2 hours.
I just examined my hive, which is huge, and had to relight the smoker 3 times. The hive is kind of aggressive but easily calmed by smoke. That is short lived however, once the smoker goes out the slightest motion causes them to swarm out at me. Simply walking about 10 feet away from the hive disperses the bees but I don't want this to happen when my neighbor is doing things in her yard.

Offline sean

• Field Bee
Re: Smoker
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 04:22:12 pm »
There is a previous post about the various materials that beekeepers use in their smokers. It could be that the leaves  you use are too thin or you don't pack it tightly enough hence it burns out too quickly. I have started using wood shavings and it lasts a real long time sometimes hrs with very little residue left.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 04:50:54 pm »
yup, i'd say experiment with smoker material.  i have used burlap, grass, shavings, pellet stove fuel, and pine cones.

finally found a combination that seems to work for me.  i wad up some paper and light it off, then add very dry pine cones.  if i need it to burn for a long time, i add some pellet fuel.  then you have to remember to puff it every once in a while while you are working, or whatever you are using might go out.  i also found it helps to leave it open and get a good burn going before i close it up and go for smoke.  then...if it's to hot, i add a wad of green grass to the top.

it can be frustrating, but with some practice and finding the right fuel combo, it works.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 05:16:32 pm »
I use wood pellets for pellet stoves,  less than $5 a bag that lasts for years. I use a propane torch to light them and have a Rauchboy  smoker (arguably the best smoker :) ) which can go over 12 hours without going out.

Michael Bush has a a rauchboy-like inner chamber made out of a tin can on his website that works very well too.  I have converted my old smokers over to this.
http://www.bushfarms.com/beesmisc.htm
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Sport

• New Bee
    • MySpace Page
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 06:56:53 pm »
I just lit my smoker for the first time yesterday.  What I did was light a piece of newspaper and stuff it in all the way to the bottom.  Then I took a handfull of pine needles and shoved them in.  I didn't fill it all the way up.  Then I puffed it quickly till I had a good amount of smoke coming out with slow puffs.  I think it worked the way it should, because I could leave it for five to ten minutes without puffing it, and when I went back it would take about ten puffs and then I had a good amount of smoke coming out.  When I left it alone for an hour, it was totaly out and I dumped it out.  Not a whole lot of the pine needles were burned, so I guess I could have gone for quite a while if I had kept pumping.  It seemed to me to be the way it should work. :?

Offline BenC

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2007, 06:57:56 pm »
Definitely try the woodstove pellets.  Sometimes they don't smoke too good for me, but they will continue to generate heat and keep whatever else is in the smoker smoking.  Another long-lasting fuel that I have had luck with is old bluejean fabric, cut up and jammed in.  Regardless of fuel, a propane torch is hard to beat for lighting.

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2007, 08:57:27 pm »
Go to Michael Bush's page he has some pictures and a few tricks you will like
kirk-o
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2007, 09:08:54 pm »
>Does anyone have a special technique to getting a smoker to stay lit for more than 2 minutes?

I make an insert:
http://www.bushfarms.com/beesmisc.htm

I use burlap for fuel.  I light it from the bottom and I use a self igniting propane torch for a lighter.  Make sure it's really lit well before you assume it will stay lit.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Ross

• Field Bee
    • http://www.myoldtools.com
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2007, 01:15:52 pm »
Bigger smokers are much easier to keep lit than the small ones that many beginners get.  I also prefer the cone shaped tops to the domed tops.  The domes seem to create a moisture trap.
www.myoldtools.com
Those who don't read good books have no advantage over those who can't---Mark Twain

Offline papabear

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2007, 03:05:36 pm »
I have used pine needles since i started and had lots of luck with it. I grab a handful of needles, light, then shove it in. Pump it till it has alot of smoke then stuff it full and tight (keep pumping air in). When finished I put a piece of wood i cut down to fit the hole. It puts the fire out and you can light it again later. Hopes this helps.
"IF YOU BELIEVE THAT JESUS DIED FOR U, YOU WILL HAVE ETERNAL LIFE."

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2007, 06:11:40 pm »
I have used pine needles since i started and had lots of luck with it. I grab a handful of needles, light, then shove it in. Pump it till it has alot of smoke then stuff it full and tight (keep pumping air in). When finished I put a piece of wood i cut down to fit the hole. It puts the fire out and you can light it again later. Hopes this helps.
Pine needles will leave behind a resin/tar buildup that will be no fun to have to scrap off. I use spagnum moss.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline buzzbeejr

• Josh
  • Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2007, 06:28:23 pm »
we use mostly wood chips and a lighter or propane torch to light it and it usually stays lit for quite a while.
MMMMMMMMM!!!!!! Doughnuts.- Homer Simpson

Offline BenC

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2007, 07:28:57 pm »
I'm surprised how many people state that they can shove a cork or other wooden plug in to extinguish the smoker.  I dump mine out.  If I don't sometimes creosote will glue it shut and I need a torch to get it open again, for fear of breaking the smoker cylinder, cap, or hinge.  I don't use pine needles because they seem to exacerbate the problem

Offline Tropic

• New Bee
    • www.flyfishincostarica.com
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2007, 10:02:01 pm »
One of the problems I have when using some of the conifers or other gum tree leaves / woods is that it does tend to buid up a tar or resin within the smoker or even in some cases leaves a 'stain' in the hive. I use dry coconut husk and this works fine. I cut squares of the coconut husk and keep it in a dry bag ... then I have a ready source of smoker fuel. Now, this is available here in the tropics and maybe in South Florida ... but elsewhere, the answer is probably found in what you can find easily and burn with no harm to the bees, the hive and the smoker. Just keep it cool and balanced. I do remember a time when just a puff from a good large cuban cigar would leave a sweet merry atmosphere within the hive and the apiary in general.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2007, 06:24:40 pm »
To help clean,open the lid ,lean away and pump the bellows. A hot flame every now and then will clean most of the creosote. Just like in the wood stoves!  ;)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2007, 08:45:21 pm »
Michael, I really like the idea of the can inside of the smoker belly.  It would seem that the can would get lots of air in that would keep it lit for a long time.  One of my next projects to do.

I am attempting this year to use staghorn sumac cones that I am presently drying in my house for fuel.  I will let you all know how well they work.

Brendhan, we have so much spaghnum moss here, I think that would make excellent fuel as well. Giving that one a try too.  Best of the day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2007, 09:06:12 pm »
Cindi,

Dried spaghnum moss. The wet stuff doesn't seem to lite very well.  ;)

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2007, 09:16:25 pm »
Brendhan, yup, understood.  We have moss than hangs off the trees in such long whisps that it looks like a witches cloak, very pretty, way up in the dark, dank, forest.  It used to give me the willies when we rode the horses through the trails and this moss would be floating, hanging off the limbs of the trees.  Best of the day. Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2007, 03:06:55 am »
>I am attempting this year to use staghorn sumac cones that I am presently drying in my house for fuel.  I will let you all know how well they work.

They dry nicely on the tree.  They burn pretty well for smoker fuel.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2007, 07:33:38 am »
Is staghorn the sumac with the red tops on the sumac?
How does it differ from what they call "poison " sumac?

anything