Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Derekm's Hive  (Read 61965 times)

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
Re: Derekm's Hive
« Reply #140 on: December 08, 2012, 04:24:40 pm »
This forum has beekeepers from around the world and lots of different ways to keep bees, all of witch may bee correct locally.

At the extreme side of the scale we have the pollination of almonds in California were a large% of the hives in USA wind up in + all the problems that come with many hives in one place.
At the other end we have a hive at the end of the garden so the apple, pears, and raspberries bee come big and good to eat  :-D

I have for the first time this year moved hives for pollination of rape seeds, the first one didn't give and honey beecause of cold weather, the other one was filled with honey, but it was from the linden trees that were a long way up a hill even though the hives were put in the middle of the rape field in full bloom.
Both were local pollination's and I chose hives that were from out side the local flight radius of the hives.

I have even helped a colleague move hive to pollinate rape and clover fields 180km away, I don't think at the moment I will bee investing my time in that but who knows what the future holds.

But its still light years away from pollinating almonds and mixing hives from all over compactly in one place.

mvh edward  :-P

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #141 on: December 08, 2012, 04:45:03 pm »
 yes but how did your bees do- thats my first concern when i place hives--RDY-B

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #142 on: December 08, 2012, 05:12:19 pm »
They are fine  :-D

I have all my bees in permanent bee yards, these lost some hives temporarily to the pollination Job under a few weeks.

I choose my bee yards with care and usually look for beautiful locations, lots of weeds and flowers and a source of water.  :-D

I live in an area with about 100 000 people and my goal is to have hives i every suburb so the whole town can buy local honey from there own area and/or garden.

My girls and I make the whole town bloom and look good and put food on every body's plate.  :shock:

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #143 on: December 08, 2012, 05:27:52 pm »
yes but how did your bees do- thats my first concern when i place hives--RDY-B

Every guy has his own pastures and decisions where he put his hives.
If he keeps in same places hives, he does not need to know  about flowers or pastures.
Just keep them there and wait.

The distance between two yards may be  5 km and the yield is easily 3 fold, and even 5 fold
That I have learned.
Language barrier NOT included

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #144 on: December 08, 2012, 05:51:00 pm »
When I started beekeeping, I had hives on  house area which every house had 1000 m2 garden estate.
It gove good yield in June but nothing in July.

I knew 7 beekeepers inside 1 km radius.

I moved my hives for July 15 km away to woods. I drived that distance with bicycle. Then I got moped. 10 years later I got a car.

migrative beekeeping with bicycle. You have never heard about that, because  you have believed that it is local.

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #145 on: December 08, 2012, 07:18:12 pm »
Finski are you saying you bicycled 15km to your hives in the woods and then another 15km home?  30km = 18 miles.  That is quite a trek!  In the summer I try to bicycle for about an hour a day but that only gets me about 10 miles; 16km.  You must have been in pretty good shape to bike that many km with bees.

Where I live in Michigan it is mostly crop land (corn, beans, sugar beets, wheat) and industry so there isn’t much pollination business right around me.  But on the west side of the State they grow a lot of apples (3rd in the USA), blueberries (1st in USA highbush), tart cherries (1st in USA), and sweet Cherries (4th in USA).

Even with all those pollination crops just an hour or two away, the commercial guys around me make their money just putting hives around the rivers and woods.

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #146 on: December 08, 2012, 10:18:26 pm »
They are fine  :-D

I have all my bees in permanent bee yards, these lost some hives temporarily to the pollination Job under a few weeks.

I choose my bee yards with care and usually look for beautiful locations, lots of weeds and flowers and a source of water.  :-D

I live in an area with about 100 000 people and my goal is to have hives i every suburb so the whole town can buy local honey from there own area and/or garden.

My girls and I make the whole town bloom and look good and put food on every body's plate.  :shock:

yes this is the way to market your self-Edward your posts always make good sense-and the noledge you
have brought to the tabel about poly hives is the best the forum has seen- :)
there is a refreshing clarity when reading your posts keep up the good work   :th_thumbsupup:--RDY-B

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #147 on: December 08, 2012, 11:57:01 pm »
yes this is the way to market your self-Edward

I don't compete with low priced import honey from china or nondescript locations classed as from the (european union)
The big Swedish beekeepers are in a race to produce cheap Swedish honey  :oops:

What part of the market is left?

Who´s honey tastes best?

You can ask YOURE self and the answer is "MINE" , if I wasn't a beekeeper it would bee ,moms,dads, brothers,sisters,grandpas,grandmas,uncle's,aunts,friends, or you nearest honey producing neighbour.

Its fun to taste honey from around the world, but if you could only choose one it most likely would bee a local honey.

The great thing about locally produced honey is that it cant bee imported from china or any other part of the country, its younique  :angel:

So I am going to give people a taste of there own gardens  :-D

mvh edward  :-P

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #148 on: December 09, 2012, 12:07:18 am »
Edward have a beautifull local story.

Since 1967 I have lived in capital city and my hives have been  100 miles away. Nothing is local in capital city.

Guys, you love those urban stories which have no value more than little bird's poo.

No one has told fairytales to you as young.

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #149 on: December 09, 2012, 12:23:04 am »
Our friend finski is right in how hives work in winter in freezing climates.

But whose to say what winter is?

Winter for him an me is about the same, but winter comes to most beekeepers in different temperatures and lengths, some have "dearth" ?? a word I've never heard beefore. Made me wonder allot till I finally understood it, I think I prefer that my bees go into hibernation and conserve food stores.

The only sad thing is I don't get to visit them and play with them for 5 to 6 months of the year  :oops: :oops:

So the grass isn't always greener on the other side of the hive.

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #150 on: December 09, 2012, 12:27:38 am »

Our friend finski is right in how hives work in winter in freezing climates.

But whose to say what winter is?

Oh boy! Look from wikipedia.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 12:39:01 am by Finski »

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #151 on: December 09, 2012, 12:46:48 am »
Edward have a beautifull local story.Since 1967 I have lived in capital city and my hives have been  100 miles away. Nothing is local in capital city. you love those urban stories

I have hives in and at the outskirts of forests to, the tree line is one of the best places to have hives.

The best place is (broken landscape) this is a mixture of farm lands(for cattle and horses) residential areas and forests. The reason is that there is always somthing flowering. Hard to find but worth it in the long run.

My largest bee yard is between 2 allotment garden complexes, that people have small summer cabins on, lots of different flower always in bloom and they want and understand the benefits of pollinating bees  :-D

The most spectacular place I have hive is downtown on the roof of the local theater, hard work but it promotes beekeeping for the local beekeeping club and on a national level.
An artikel from the lokal paper with google translator
http://translate.google.se/translate?sl=sv&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=sv&ie=UTF-8&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Farbetarbladet.se%2Fnyheter%2Fgavle%2F1.3274347-tv-100-000-bin-flyttar-till-teatern&act=url

« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 01:04:48 am by edward »

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #152 on: December 09, 2012, 12:58:10 am »
Oh boy! Look from wikipedia
Winter (/ˈwɪntər/ WIN-tər) is the coldest season of the year in temperate climates, between autumn and spring. At the winter solstice, the days are shortest and the nights are longest, with days lengthening as the season progresses after the solstice. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter

Nothing about temperature  ;)

I have lived i Scotland, England and Vancouver in Canada, every year winter came, if we were lucky we got a week of snow, an inch or to, enough to make snow men but the were always covered with straws of grass.

This last 5 days we got 3 feet of snow were I live in Sweden, I´m sick of the stuff and I haven't made any snowmen in years.  :-D

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #153 on: December 09, 2012, 01:14:12 am »
Sometimes it doesn’t get cold enough in Michigan for automotive development so some companies used to have cold weather test facilities north of the Arctic Circle in Sweden!  It always seemed rather ridiculous to me to fly all the way to Sweden for cold weather testing when we have Canada just north of us.   

I like snow, but 3 feet is a bit much for this time of year!

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #154 on: December 09, 2012, 01:22:25 am »
 funny thing about winter and location of bees-the bees dont know the difference from
from my country to yours-they dont say keep flying its not as cold as finland---  :lol:
what they know is that it is winter-they react to the change around them-only the beekeeper compares
severity of change-the bees will always go into winter mode when change comes-its preordained
there is no cornering of the market when it comes to wintering the bees have been doing it  on there own                                           long before fifty years of Humbug came to town-- ;)  :)--RDY-B

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #155 on: December 09, 2012, 01:30:10 am »
Sometimes it doesn’t get cold enough in Michigan for automotive development so some companies used to have cold weather test facilities north of the Arctic Circle in Sweden!  It always seemed rather ridiculous to me to fly all the way to Sweden for cold weather testing when we have Canada just north of us. I like snow, but 3 feet is a bit much for this time of year!

Hmmm.....  We got a lot of good looking girls in Sweden  :-D

They test the cars way out in the middle of nowhere, the industrial spies have a hard time finding the cars beecause of the vast area, and its cold. The whole town and local government pull together to make test tracks and special roads and helps the auto industry from all over the world, sometimes i see the transport trucks filled with camouflage cars going north. The whole area is tailored for the autoindustry

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #156 on: December 09, 2012, 02:31:17 am »
funny thing about winter and location of bees-the bees dont know the difference from
from my country to yours-they dont say keep flying its not as cold as finland---  :lol:

lol, you never speak about Alaska and about Alaska adapted queens?

Well, you need not. Let the Alaska guys take care themselves.
They kill hives in Autum and bye packages in Spring.

When I look Alaska hives, they wall structure is the same as in California. They consume so much food that they starve out.
Queens are same and they rear brood are long as they die.

In Canada  80% of beekeepers are professionals. They do not need forum advices and not at least from California.

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #157 on: December 09, 2012, 12:08:00 pm »
**lol, you never speak about Alaska and about Alaska adapted queens?**

gee if you where from alaska then thats all we would talk about -but your from finland so we
 will truch through-- ;)

**In Canada  80% of beekeepers are professionals. They do not need forum advices and not at least from California.**

well it apears that guys from finland do--I went back and read your posts from 2004-read about poly hives
 and you said you used a top entrance or top vent for exaust of resperation moisture because of soilid botom board
you said not needed if you have screen botom board- :chop: thats what you wrote --but luckly time has pased
and you have learned from the forum how to run a poly hive now you are expert thanks to posters like EDWARD
you have gained the knoledge that poly hive lets watter drain out front from condenseing on the sides -with a insulated top cover
yes you no longer run your poly hives like a wood hive -there is a differance -I am glad that you are improving
your beekeeping skills- ;) try and get somthing acomplish today instead of internet sword fight with the AMERICAN BEEKEEPERS-- :ninja: dont take it personal have a nice day  :)  RDY-B

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #158 on: December 09, 2012, 12:26:58 pm »
RDY-B
Finski has no negativity towards us ignorant, child's play feeding, clueless Americans.

And even if he did, any indifference will always be passed off due to a language barrier and YOU not understanding his goodwill and good nature. It will always be YOUR fault!

Get with the program.  :-D

You must certainly have better things to do.  ;)
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #159 on: December 09, 2012, 12:40:14 pm »
To all following this thread please read here:
http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,39635.0.html
If we need more to stop all the volleys  back and forth it will come and it may be unwarned. I've been posting and pm'ing in a couple topics the last week or so and it's starting to wear thin.I have probably been over tolerant,but that will end soon.

anything