Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Itchiest Bee Sting in the Whole World...Ever  (Read 42508 times)

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
Itchiest Bee Sting in the Whole World...Ever
« on: May 15, 2007, 05:31:09 pm »
Holy Bee Stings Batman...

Almost 1 week post sting and today is the ITCHIEST ever!  I put calendula gel on it last night..wonder if that made it act up?  hahahahahaha...too funny, and too itchy!

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
Re: Itchiest Bee Sting in the Whole World...Ever
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 08:13:02 pm »
Holy Bee Stings Batman...

Almost 1 week post sting and today is the ITCHIEST ever!  I put calendula gel on it last night..wonder if that made it act up?  hahahahahaha...too funny, and too itchy!

Yeah, a few more days at least. Both of my wrists received minimum 6-7 stings each back on the 22nd of April while installing 6 packages. They did itch for about 2 weeks. Hydrogen peroxide kinda helped me out a little bit. Try not to scratch your skin raw.

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 08:16:20 pm »
I use Watkins Menthol Camphor salve.
doak

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 08:19:23 pm »
Oh wow, I used to have Watkin's stuff...I am going to try metholatum...hahaha...But I want to get a haribrush and scratch the holy living daylights out of it!

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 08:51:39 pm »
That's what happens when I get stings also.  The first day it amounts to a sting and little else.  Then the next day and for the next 10 days - two weeks depending on how well I got the stinger out - it itches like crazy!

Linda T scratching in Atlanta

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2007, 09:23:42 pm »
May give Hydrocortisone 1% Cream a try.
doak

Offline Tropic

• New Bee
    • www.flyfishincostarica.com
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2007, 10:03:40 pm »
Just enjoy it... it is such a nice itch. Just try not to scratch it with your nails... rub it gently and I usually just rub in some fresh lime juice. But to be honest ... I now do not even bother about the itch any more since it reminds me to be a bit more careful or wear my gloves next time.

Offline Bee1

• House Bee
  • 1st & only hive installed Friday April 13th, 2007
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2007, 10:42:12 am »
Are you willing to take benedryl?  That  really works for me and or the highest % Hydrocortisone Cream you can find. 

I’ve been bitten by bees numerous times – on my big toe while walking in the grass, in the middle of  my back while backpacking, and on my butt while just standing in the yard with a dress on, just to name a few of the memorable times and I’ve learned that I am very sensitive to bee stings.  BIG RED HOT ITCHY WELTS that last for ever!  The forever part is an exaggeration.   

Anyway, in general I prefer not to take drugs, however I’m not crazy about suffering either and have learned to happily acquiesce in this case.  The relief is sweet.

The benedry reduces the  BIG RED HOT ITCHY symptoms trememdously...  The corotisone cream is an itch only remedy.

Bee1

Bee1 with all Stings of the Universe.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2007, 10:48:59 am »
Get plaintain!  LOLL.  Have a wonderful day, great life, great health.   Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2007, 10:57:47 am »
Thanks all...I just had to laugh at the whole thing.  I had no idea the results would last so long...Very itchy welt.  I am trying to ignore it, hhhmmm...had to still the mind with that intense itch going on hahahaha...I took benadryl, it did help, but I cannot take it on work days...I tried...are ya ready??  Canadian made Preparation H ( which I use as a face cream, yeah I am a butt face )...I think essence of time will have to suffice...

It is a relief to know that this it not unsual...

Have a great day~*~

Offline Shizzell

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2007, 02:17:42 pm »
Easy Solve:

For Swelling & Pain of Sting: Take some leaves of plantain, get a good saliva going, chew the plantain (Don't swallow, its a natural laxative  :-D) and rub it in (Not just rub on, rub it in) every 15-20 minutes for the first hour. Usually you won't swell the next morning. But not excerising or moving around tends for it to swell a bit more. Just rub in some more plantain.

For Itching: Take a couple of leaves of mint (The plant), get a good saliva going, chew the mint, (You can swallow this if you want, mmmm good) and rub it on the itchy area. Itch will be gone in 3 minutes.

- Plus you smell good with the mint.

Jake

Offline smallswarm

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2007, 05:20:00 pm »
Running hot water over them feels so good when they are in the itch phase! Aaahh. I actually let the stinger pump away, instead of scraping it right out, because the old wives say that bee venom is a tonic. Swelling lasts 2-4 days for me, depending on the location, but listen to this.

I recently got stung on the wrist, and she must have hit a vein, because there was almost no local reaction, but my whole head turned bright red and was itching. My legs were itching. My eyeballs were bloodshot and watering. I couldn't swallow, and I was wheezing. That one sting was so powerful, I had to lie down for an hour. After about three hours, I was fine, and there was almost no swelling in the wrist at all.

That's what you could call a good dose.

Offline Bee1

• House Bee
  • 1st & only hive installed Friday April 13th, 2007
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2007, 07:13:16 pm »
Smallswarm, I use hot water on many bug bites too and it does feel good! Aaah.   However, the recent sting on the wrist sounds like a more serious reaction.  Have you run the details past your prefered medical professional?    I know you know this.  Instead of a super tonic bee venom can become life threatening.       

.... but my whole head turned bright red and was itching. My legs were itching. My eyeballs were bloodshot and watering. I couldn't swallow, and I was wheezing. ...

Bee1
Bee1 with all Stings of the Universe.

Offline thegolfpsycho

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2007, 07:14:51 pm »
That's what I call a systemic reaction and anaphalactic shock.  Mere inches away from a dirt nap.

Offline DavePaulson

• New Bee
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2007, 07:32:15 pm »
Running hot water over them feels so good when they are in the itch phase! Aaahh. I actually let the stinger pump away, instead of scraping it right out, because the old wives say that bee venom is a tonic. Swelling lasts 2-4 days for me, depending on the location, but listen to this.

I recently got stung on the wrist, and she must have hit a vein, because there was almost no local reaction, but my whole head turned bright red and was itching. My legs were itching. My eyeballs were bloodshot and watering. I couldn't swallow, and I was wheezing. That one sting was so powerful, I had to lie down for an hour. After about three hours, I was fine, and there was almost no swelling in the wrist at all.

That's what you could call a good dose.

Yes this sounds like a very serious reaction. Next time you may have only minutes to get help. Subsequent stings may be worse and faster. Worse in this case sounds like possibly dead.Talk to your doctor before you get stung again.

Dave

Offline Tropic

• New Bee
    • www.flyfishincostarica.com
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2007, 09:28:17 pm »
I see 'plantain' mentioned in various posts regarding an ease to bee stings. What is this 'plantain' ? .... Here it is a huge banana type veggie.

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2007, 09:37:23 pm »
It's a plant that most consider a weed, grows in compacted lawn type soil.  Here's a link from another thread.

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2007, 10:18:40 pm »
Bee sting stories are GREAT!I too didnt get much of a reaction till a week later..Clorox, plier sqeezes, cigarrette burns...it didnt matter..nothing stopped the itch...I was really itchy!! Ive told other people that they compare to chigger bites.."cep 10 times itchier! Its funny though...I would rather get stung by bees over wasps any day! The wasp stings REALLY burn for about 15 minutes but they dont come back to haunt me after that.
your friend,
john

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2007, 10:29:47 pm »
Hey John...

I was so baffled, it was like...why now after 1 week is this thing welting up and itching like mad?  When I got to work, I noticed it was beginning to swell towards my elbow...Since I am an RN and work in surgery...I kept showing everyone and they would say..eewww...I got a bit concerned, ya know...could it be???  necrotizing fasciaitis???  Or some god awful thang...well after an MD looked at it she reassured me, and said that maybe the stinger was still in there..so I just squeezed and squeezed...At any rate, the swelling subsided..and now it is just localized redness and a bit itchy...hahahaha, who a think?  My first sting, most likely not my last...hhhmmmm

Offline nepenthes

• Field Bee
  • Little honey bee in flight
    • Photo Album
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2007, 10:33:38 pm »
I think im gonna go get one of my bees to sting me to see what you guys are complaining about.

Suggestions? lol
"I have never wished to cater to the crowd, for what I know they do not approve, and what they approve I do not know." - Epicurus.

anything