Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: honey flow  (Read 1513 times)

Offline two dogs

• New Bee
honey flow
« on: June 19, 2007, 01:29:51 am »
Nubee seeking more advice here...

I've been told by my beekeeping buds not to expect any honey the first year of a new hive (installed in mid May) in Southeastern Michigan.  Does anyone have any thoughts on that?

Also, as far as nector flow....short of weighing the hive or cracking it open, is there another means of knowing when the maximum flow is?

Thanks in advance.

2 dogs

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
Re: honey flow
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 09:15:05 am »
If you started your hive on foundation, don't expect too much.  If you happen to get it, then bonus!
If you started out on drawn comb, then you might expect a little more.

Nectar flow....short of the methods you mentioned, it is a matter of knowing what is flowing when and how much it is producing.  Get to know the trees in the area, correlate that to what you are seeing in the hive and when.   The primary producers in my area are the different types of trees, sweet yellow/white clover, and knapweed.  Get to know the area and the flowers.  I've learned more about plants and trees since bee keeping that I ever knew before.  It takes a while to figure all that out.

Rick
Rick

Offline trapperbob

• House Bee
Re: honey flow
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 10:46:53 pm »
 I agree with Rick watch everything when the flow is on you will probably see more things blooming than ever before since I've been watching I've seen things blooming I didn't even know bloomed. Since our flow started my bees almost shoot right through the entrance without touching the bottom board and leave like fighter jets being launched off a carrier there is so much action it's amazing.